Database Partitioning Vicibox 9.01?

Support forum for the ViciBox ISO Server Install and ISO LiveCD Demo

Moderators: enjay, williamconley, Staydog, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba

Database Partitioning Vicibox 9.01?

Postby Nefariousparity » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:40 pm

Am I missing something? Did we ever figure this out with Vicibox 9.01?

1.Download the current ViciBox ISO from http://download.vicidial.com/iso/vicibox/server/
2.Burn ISO to CD/DVD or USB thumb drive and boot from it.
3.At the boot screen, using the up or down arrow keys, select “Install_ViciBox_v9_0” and press ENTER to begin the installation process.
4.VERIFY THAT THE CORRECT DRIVE IS SHOWN FOR INSTALLATION; Everythingafter this step results in any data that previously exists on the target drive being lost
5.After verifying that the correct OS drive is shown, use the left or right arrow keys to highlight ‘Yes’ and press ENTER to start the installation; After a few minutes the server will reboot and bring you to a ‘vicibox9 login: ‘ prompt
6.Type ‘root’ at the login prompt and press the ENTER key.
7.At the ‘Password:’ prompt type in ‘vicidial’ and press the ENTER keyThe very first time you log into the system after installing it a OS setup wizard will run. This will give you the option to change the language, keyboard layout, and local time zone. Afterwards you should end up at a red prompt that says vicibox9:~ #

Previously, on the database servers, we would create two hardware raids. 2x Raid 1, OS, 4x or more drives Raid 10 Database array, and mount to /srv as instructed? Is this not available in Vicibox 9.0.1?
|| DB Schema Version: 1609 || Asterisk 11.25.1-vici || BUILD: 190902-0839 ||VERSION: 2.14-718a||SVN: 3133||10xTelephony||1x Database||1x Slave||1x Web||1x Archive||ViciBox v.8.0.1
Nefariousparity

Re: Database Partitioning Vicibox 9.01?

Postby williamconley » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:33 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by database partitioning here. There is a mysql feature called partitioning, related to partitioning a database ... but you appear to be discussing a HD partition that may have the Database folder in it when you've finished building the system rather than partitioning "of" the database.

We've always set that up after the fact. Configure the hardware partition in the RAID (pre-boot) and present two drives to the .iso for installation. Install on the OS mirror, then shut down mysql, format/partition the Data partition and move the files into it and mount it in it's original position. I can't say we've ever used Kumba's install package to perform that task. But since the install package is OpenSuSE, the question would be for OpenSuSE's installation interface before Kuma. Kumba just brings it forward, but if he left off a feature that's available in the OpenSuSE installer, you could certainly bring to his attention that partitioning and mounting extra partitions wherever you want to is missing.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby Nefariousparity » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:46 am

So the latter is what I am talking about. During the OpenSUSE partition manager of the previous versions of vicibox you are allowed to choose the partitioning as needed. It is recommended that one raid array is setup for OS, and the other for Database only. Namely, setting up database on folder of "srv" which is then your second hardware raid array. At least for me, there is not partition manager in the latest version of vicibox 9.0. You just agree to all data being wiped and it does this for you.
|| DB Schema Version: 1609 || Asterisk 11.25.1-vici || BUILD: 190902-0839 ||VERSION: 2.14-718a||SVN: 3133||10xTelephony||1x Database||1x Slave||1x Web||1x Archive||ViciBox v.8.0.1
Nefariousparity

Postby williamconley » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:29 pm

Vicibox 9 is a bit of a departure from previous installs. The underlying installer (as I understand it) required a fairly major rebuild. So Kumba either hasn't rebuilt all the features for the new installer yet, or they are simply missing and he may not even intend to create them.

Looks like you're stuck with my method. Does it allow you to install on existing partitions at least? Or does it insist on deleting all partitions?
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby Kumba » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:57 pm

After you finish installing the OS, just run 'yast partitioner' to setup the additional MySQL partition. As a general rule, 'yast' will allow you to control major parts of the system, like partitioning, network config, etc.

The problem was the previous installer was abandoned back in ViciBox 6 or 7. I've been patching it to keep it going but too much changed under the hood between OpenSuSE v.42.3 (ViciBox 8) and OpenSusE v.15.1 (ViciBox 9) that the old installer was fundamentally broken. That's why in ViciBox v.9 I had to use this image based installer. It was essentially the only option really available to me short of writing my own installer.

**** Update ****

You'll likely need to chown the directory for MySQL to start correctly. I would recommend setting up your database RAID as /srv/mysql and then making a /srv/mysql/data sub directory. After that do a chown mysql:mysql /srv/mysql/data. After that MySQL should be able to run without and problems.
Kumba

Postby Nefariousparity » Thu May 07, 2020 12:15 am

Kumba, William thank you very much that answers that question.
Nefariousparity

Return to ViciBox Server Install and Demo