Resizing of Recordings partition on vicibox8

Support forum for the ViciBox ISO Server Install and ISO LiveCD Demo

Moderators: enjay, williamconley, Staydog, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba

Resizing of Recordings partition on vicibox8

Postby scopor » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:00 pm

Greetings to the Community!!!

I have a fresh vicibox redux 8 server install. Hardware HP Gen 6 DL160 2x2.13GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon, 24 GB memory, 4x1TB Hard drive in Raid 5 |Single Server|No Digium/Sangoma Hardware|No Extra Software After Installation.

I noticed the following info by typing df -h

vicibox8:~ # df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs 12G 0 12G 0% /dev
tmpfs 12G 0 12G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 12G 11M 12G 1% /run
tmpfs 12G 0 12G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda3 2.7T 3.6G 2.7T 1% /
tmpfs 6.0G 0 6.0G 0% /var/spool/asterisk/monitor
tmpfs 2.4G 0 2.4G 0% /run/user/0

I am particular interested in the second to last line. Is there anyway to increase the default size of the var/spool/asterisk/monitor folder used for recordings utilizing the almost 3TB of storage on this server? Ie without having to reinstall or lose anything? At the moment there is no recordings on the system. I just want to increase from the default.

I will appreciate a response from the community.
scopor

Re: Resizing of Recordings partition on vicibox8

Postby blackbird2306 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:08 pm

You don't need to resize this partition at all. The directory "/var/spool/asterisk/monitor" is mounted on tmpfs for performance/speed reasons. And tmpfs is only a temporarily place on RAM not on hard disk (https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/tmpfs.txt).
There is a cron which starts every three minutes these scripts:
Code: Select all
0,3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24,27,30,33,36,39,42,45,48,51,54,57 * * * * /usr/share/astguiclient/AST_CRON_audio_1_move_mix.pl --MIX
0,3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24,27,30,33,36,39,42,45,48,51,54,57 * * * * /usr/share/astguiclient/AST_CRON_audio_1_move_VDonly.pl

and all recordings were mixed and moved to "/var/spool/asterisk/monitorDONE" on hard disk. Thereby "/var/spool/asterisk/monitor" will be emptied.
So 6 GB space should cover only 3 minutes of recordings.
If nevertheless for any reason you need to change the size look into "/etc/fstab", but be careful and inform yourself on linux community before you make any adjustments.
Vicibox 6.0.2 from Vicibox_v.6.0.x86_64-6.0.2.iso | Vicidial 2.12-560a build: 160617-1427 | Asterisk 1.8.32.3
blackbird2306

Postby williamconley » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:55 pm

1) Welcome to the Party! 8-)

2) As you are obviously new here, I have some suggestions to help us all help you:

When you post, please post your entire configuration including (but not limited to) your installation method (7.X.X?) and vicidial version with build (VERSION: 2.X-XXXx ... BUILD: #####-####).

This IS a requirement for posting along with reading the stickies (at the top of each forum) and the manager's manual (available on EFLO.net, both free and paid versions)

You should also post: Asterisk version, telephony hardware (model number is helpful here), cluster information if you have one, and whether any other software is installed in the box. If your installation method is "manual/from scratch" you must post your operating system with version (and the .iso version from which you installed your original operating system) plus a link to the installation instructions you used. If your installation is "Hosted" list the site name of the host.

If this is a "Cloud" or "Virtual" server, please note the technology involved along with the version of that techology (ie: VMware Server Version 2.0.2). If it is not, merely stating the Motherboard model # and CPU would be helpful.

Similar to This:

Vicibox X.X from .iso | Vicidial X.X.X-XXX Build XXXXXX-XXXX | Asterisk X.X.X | Single Server | No Digium/Sangoma Hardware | No Extra Software After Installation | Intel DG35EC | Core2Quad Q6600

3) As blackbird2306 pointed out, that's a temp folder and need not be altered. Each server will get one, and only recordings for calls presently in progress are stored there. As soon as the calls complete they will be moved to their home on that dialer.

4) Be sure you look into the AST_CRON_audio_3_ftp.pl option in your crontab -e. This will allow you to push ALL your recordings (from all servers in your cluster) into an FTP server that can permanently store them AND provide them to users seamlessly. The script will update the URL for the recordings in the system so all vicidial recording links can pull from the Web server of that FTP location. Properly configured it means your dialers have NO need to store recordings long-term.

Also worthy of note: each dialer stores these recordings in a single MP3 folder. Eventually that folder will be impossible to navigate (ll ans ls -l will fail) due to hundreds of thousands of files. However: the FTP transfer process will create a folder for each day and the navigation problem is solved.

Solves the "huge HD on each dialer" problem. Solves the "my dialer died and I have to replace it, but what about those recordings?" problem as well. Dialers are now disposable because they store NO data. So you back up your DB (/usr/share/astguiclient/ADMIN_backup.pl) and you mirror your FTP server and you have catastrophic failure protection.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby scopor » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 am

Hi William. I am not new here and should know better. However, have I not followed the procedure for posting? I thought I did. At least if what I posted was insufficient then you could correct me. But your response suggest that I didnt' follow the requirement for posting.

I thought this was sufficient "I have a fresh vicibox redux 8 server install. Hardware HP Gen 6 DL160 2x2.13GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon, 24 GB memory, 4x1TB Hard drive in Raid 5 |Single Server|No Digium/Sangoma Hardware|No Extra Software After Installation. "

I guess I stand corrected.

Anyways... I am thankful for the response from @blackbird2306 and also William.

Thanks William for answering questions that I didn't even ask and thanks for your suggestion re the ftp long term storage. Very much appreciated.
Blessings!!!
scopor

Return to ViciBox Server Install and Demo