Nothing listening on port 80

Support forum for the ViciBox ISO Server Install and ISO LiveCD Demo

Moderators: enjay, williamconley, Staydog, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba

Nothing listening on port 80

Postby sandstone » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:56 pm

Hello,

I have a remote server and I had the company that houses the server do a ViciBox iso install. Nothing fancy, just a typical install. Problem is that I can't access ViciDial via the Internet. When trying to access via welcome.php, admin.php and directly through the ip I get a "refused to connect" error. I can not ssh into the server, but I can ftp in. I contacted the company that houses the server and they tell me that "There's nothing listening on port 80". I'm looking for some guidance on how to open port 80 so that I can access ViciDial.

Thanks!

ViciBox 7.0.3 | All-in-one setup |
sandstone

Re: Nothing listening on port 80

Postby williamconley » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:12 pm

If there's nothing "listening" on port 80, that does not indicate that it's closed, but that the apache process is not running or is configured incorrectly (or both) since apache2 should be listening on port 80. Or perhaps they simply stated their position incorrectly.

Since you do have ftp access, at least one port is open. Have them open port 22 and get apache running by logging in via ssh. If this is a foreign concept to you, I strongly suggest you perform a local installation on a virtual server in your desktop (VMware is excellent for this) or in a spare pc in your local office. Then you'll have the experience you need to manage this server remotely. In fact, I'd suggest you install it several times to be comfortable with it. Takes about 30 minutes per run and can be quite liberating when you realize how easily Vicibox can be installed. And be sure to thank Kumba a couple hundred times after you've "mastered" this.

Oh: And be clear that the installation should be done using STANDARD not EXPRESS. You may want to have a look at the install log and the ssh history while you're in there (once you get in via ssh, of course, since you can NOT manage the server via ftp).
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby Kumba » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:15 am

1) How did they install it? Did they follow the install document to phase 1? Phase 2? Just winged it?

2) ViciBox will ALWAYS accept SSH connections unless they are blocking it. So that is a firewall issue on their side or they mangled the ViciBox configs.

3) Shooting from the dark, it sounds like they just installed the OS, and didn't complete the setup or do the right things during setup.

4) It's odd that the FTP service would be running considering it sounds like you are doing an express install. FTP only runs when you install ViciBox as an archive server.

5) Take William Conley's advice, download VirtualBox or VMWare or whatever, and install vicibox to familiarize yourself with it.
Kumba

Postby sandstone » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:01 am

Thanks for the VMware advice. I will definitely do this! Are there any good instruction floating around on the Internet that would guide me through doing this?

You say "...the installation should be done using STANDARD not EXPRESS". I do believe they used the express install. Will this not work at all? Will I need to have them do another install using the STANDARD method? Also, is there any straight forward, beginners command line documents out there, that you could point me to, that would help me to self-learn handling apache2 from ssh?

Kumba - I supplied the iso as well as the install manual from the ViciBox website. So, although I was not setting there to watch the install, I assume they used the step by step from the manual. When I try to ssh into the server it says - "Using username "root". Using keyboard-interactive authentications - and prompts me for a Password. I am unable to enter a Password or anything else into the Putty screen. It eventually closes the connection.

Thanks!!

sandstone

Postby sandstone » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:11 am

I am now able to access the server via ssh and am receiving the the "Thank you for installing ViciBox server V.7.0" message. Now I need to determine what steps to take to be able to access via the Internet.
sandstone

Postby williamconley » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:51 pm

Kumba wrote:3) Shooting from the dark, it sounds like they just installed the OS, and didn't complete the setup or do the right things during setup.

Actually, I'm on board with that assessment. And I should have mentioned it. Happens more than it should. LOL
williamconley

Postby sandstone » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:19 am

Is there a way that I can check to see if they completed the install and setup, via ssh or ftp?

sandstone

Postby Kumba » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Normally you'd be able to log into the web interface. Since you can't do that, no clue.

Even more bizarre is that FTP is running.
Kumba

Postby sandstone » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:18 pm

I can now ssh into the server. I restarted apache and now when I type the IP into a browser I get an "It Works" message. When I try to log into the welcome.php screen I get an "Object not found! The requested url is not found on this server..." message. Would this indicate that the setup was not completed, or not completed properly? Or possibly something else? Can I complete the setup via ssh at this point (since I'm working with a hosted server and don't have access to the actual machine)? Kumba- BTW - FTP is no longer working--strange to say the least.

Thanks for any suggestions or advise you might have!
sandstone

Postby sandstone » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:43 pm

williamconley wrote:
Kumba wrote:3) Shooting from the dark, it sounds like they just installed the OS, and didn't complete the setup or do the right things during setup.

Actually, I'm on board with that assessment. And I should have mentioned it. Happens more than it should. LOL

After much discussion with the servers host I have now verified that the ViciBox installation was stopped after the operating system and network configurations were completed. :x Is it possible for me to complete the installation via ssh? I have not been able to find any information regarding this. Could someone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks
sandstone

Postby Kumba » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:45 pm

......... If only the ViciBox ISO had an accompanying installation manual for it. IF ONLY............

If it did, I bet it would be somewhere intuitive and convenient, like on the same page that you go to download the ISO. I'd have made it even more apparent and put the link for the installation manual RIGHT BELOW the link to the installation ISO. But that's just me.

-sighs- When will these open source guys ever learn to make proper installation documents?!?!?!

ProTip: In Command Line Interface (CLI) Linux, there is no difference between an SSH connection and actually being at the keyboard staring at an attached monitor. Just don't mess with anything relating to the network configuration or run 'yast lan'.
Kumba

Postby sandstone » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:37 pm

LOL Kumba!! I did figure that out :) I just had to first get over my frustration that they stopped in mid-install. The manual is top notch!! I plan to finish the install this evening and I will NOT run 'yast lan'. Have a great weekend and thanks for your response - it gave me a much needed smile!

UPDATE - I followed the manual and completed the install. Success!!
sandstone

Postby Kumba » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:25 pm

Glad you figured it out.
Kumba

Postby williamconley » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:44 pm

Kumba wrote:Glad you figured it out.

I thought *I* was the resident Sm@rt@ss here? Have I not been annoying enough recently? 8-)
williamconley

Return to ViciBox Server Install and Demo