Scaling up to a 2nd server

Support forum for the ViciBox ISO Server Install and ISO LiveCD Demo

Moderators: enjay, williamconley, Staydog, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba

Scaling up to a 2nd server

Postby Kinghtflyer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:08 am

ViciBox 64bit 4.03 preload iso
8 core AMD 4GHZ 16GigRAM

Vicibox 3.04 From 64bit-Preload.iso VERSION: 2.8-403a BUILD: 130510-1350 : Asterisk 1.4.44-vici : NO Digium HArdware : Single Server
AMD 8-CORE 4Ghz 16GigRAM : MSI 3070 Mboard : 3-2TB SATA Drives : Disabled RAID : No extra software :

According to the documentation, we should add another server if we go above 15 outbound agents
I guess that is a rule of thumb. With 8 agents outbound we are running 2% CPU Avg.
Would it be safe to to add a server after cpu reaches 50% avg?

I don't see how the server automatically scale in the Manager's Manual.
Is there a step-by-step add a load balanced server?
Which IP does the agents login to and do we setup one server for the inbound DIDs or do they both just 'get along'.

We have another office in another city that I may have to get involved with, they are currently at 20 outbound agents.
Would 1 server like described suffice?
Kinghtflyer

Re: Scaling up to a 2nd server

Postby Staydog » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:57 am

Depending on your box, you can fit up to 25 blended or outbound agents OR 35 inbound ONLY agents per single server set-up. The specs you would require are:
* All-In-One Server (Database, Web Server, and Dialer)
* Processor: 2.4GHZ Quad-Core
* Memory: 4 GB ECC
* Hard Drives: two >500 GB SCSI drives in Hardware RAID-1
* Network: 10/100 Ethernet

Once you are over 25 outbound or blended agents, you will need a cluster configuration. To house up to 50 agents, you will need 2 dialer servers and 1 combo database/web server. If you have someone who is good at networking you may be able to install this yourself. Use Enterprise Class equipment or you will burn out the servers in a year. On Enterprise class equipment, with the specs we use you can get 120-150 lines per dialer server. You can purchase servers with a warranty and VICIdial pre-installed or just purchase a remote installation directly from VICIdial. You can convert the box you have now to be a dialer server on that cluster, so you would have to add 2 servers to your current configuration to support 28-35 blended agents. You can put the servers on a public or local IP and have the satellite office access it via a web browser like FireFox or Chrome. You can have multiple inbound DIDs or carriers, so it would just be a matter of configuration.
Staydog

Postby williamconley » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:23 am

I guess that is a rule of thumb. With 8 agents outbound we are running 2% CPU Avg.
Are you sure it's two percent? If you refer to "2.00" in "htop", that's 200% meaning two cpus out of eight. You can go up to 4.0 (which is 4 of 8 processors) which would represent a 50% load from that perspective before you should get nervous.

When you regularly exceed that 50% mark OR have htop show any individual processor "topping out" for more than an instant regularly, it's time to cluster. Until then, this server is not overloaded.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby jordan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:17 am

Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone could point me to anywhere that gives more details about how to implement the setup that staydog describes. I've been using goautodial running on a single box, but for production I'm going to need to setup a database server and separate clustered dial servers - but I'm not sure how to accomplish this using goautodial.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
jordan

Postby Kumba » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:19 pm

The FREE ViciBox manual has instructions on dimensioning a cluster (how many server for X agents) as well as setting up those clusters.

So, RTFM is in order. :)
Kumba

Return to ViciBox Server Install and Demo