NIC CARDS SETUP

Support forum for the ViciBox ISO Server Install and ISO LiveCD Demo

Moderators: enjay, williamconley, Staydog, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba

NIC CARDS SETUP

Postby vkjalan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:48 pm

Hi,
Well I am trying to install Vicibox 3.1.9 and when I try to setup the nic cards i face this issue.

1) I have 2 Nic cards, 1 for internal network and 1 for external.
When i configure the iexternal network card and the the internal network card they dont work for good know what reason. I am not able to ping nor the internal nor the external network

when i install using DHCP using a router it works fine.

Can you suggest me how to install the NIC cards.

Also automatically the subnet mask change.
vkjalan

Postby williamconley » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:03 pm

Let's start slow 8)

1) You say you have two network cards, one for internal and one for external. Do you have two internet IP addresses (one for your router and one for your vicidial box ...) or only one internet IP address (which will be for your vicidial box ONLY, and your agents will not have internet)?
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby vkjalan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:18 pm

ok sorry for being so confusing just that i am so frustrated because the dialer is just not being installed.

I have only one internet ip.

Here is the setup.
I have a Leased line modem which i connect to one of the nic cards and supply the credentials
xxx.xxx.xx.xx for static ip 255.255.255.252 for subnetmask and xxx.xxx.xxx.xx for the gateway then come back configure the dns.

Come to next card and configure
192.168.0.200 and give the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 and dont do any other settingsi give next and the settings get saved. But when i try to ping to the internet i cannot also if i try and ping to the local lan it does not ping. I wonder what is the problem. But when i use one of the nic card and connect it to the router i have and configure the dialer to work on dhcp is works perfect. I wonder where am i going wrong.

Also when i tried installing the dialer with the dhcp server the ip of the server changes everytime i reboot the server. Could you please help me with a solution.
vkjalan

Postby williamconley » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:22 pm

Wow. Did you breathe when you wrote that 8)?

First things first, can you access the router and "reserve" an IP address for the Vicidial server? (you DO have access to manage the router, yes?)
williamconley

Postby vkjalan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:26 pm

yes i do have access to my router. I use a netgear router and a very basic one.
vkjalan

Postby randy_delgado_03 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Hi vkjalan,

I also had the same prob before but this williamconley guy is really pretty good, he actually gave me some of his thoughts and majority of it works (hi there williamconley) (^_^)...

As of now i have no problems with vicibox 3.1.9 64bit ...

Going back to your situation, im seeing 4 possibilities:

1. Having duplicate IP Address on the same network.
2. Firewall settings.
3. Gateway settings.
4. Routing settings (if on a inter vlan network).

Try to check one of these, if none of these resolves your issue then we'll try to dig on it more ...
ViciBox v.7.0.3-160505
Asterisk 11.22.0-vici
Vicidial: VERSION: 2.12-563a BUILD: 160801-2119
Servers: Stand alone server (Database, Web, Telephony)
No Additional Softwares, No Third Party Softwares
randy_delgado_03

Postby williamconley » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:48 pm

ok, netgear should have a DHCP section with the ability to "reserve" the IP based on the MAC address of the dialer. After you do that, the IP should never change again. (and we can move on ...)

After that, install your system with that single IP (the internal one) and get everything working (at least registering phones, be sure the new local ip shows on all admin screens where the ip address is used)

then we'll move on to how to ADD another NIC without screwing up the old one.
williamconley

Postby Kumba » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Install using DHCP on the router. After you do the os-install, prior to phase-2, type 'yast lan' and configure your settings, see if that works better.
Kumba

Postby williamconley » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:29 pm

but when you add the new one, be sure that you understand that the dns and gateway are going to CHANGE, but the previous network card that was working should not be touched at all. or ask as you do it (get it working with the internal network first and be sure everything is good).
williamconley

Postby vkjalan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:41 am

Well Great. I installed the dialer with Vicibox 3.1.9 32 Bit. And also reserved the Ip on router. Now it looks stable.

Also I wanted to configure the other NIC with the external Ip. How do I do it.

I was also wondering if I could do anything to share the internet to the agents PC. I have only one external Ip.

Please advice.
when i installed the Vicibox 3.1.9 it shows on the kernel as 3.1.8 i wonder why ???

Awaiting your kind update.
vkjalan

Postby vkjalan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi,
I am still waiting for a reply.

Also I was wondering where is the recordings folder.

I mean I cant find it in 192.168.X.XXX/RECORDINGS

Please advice.
vkjalan

Postby williamconley » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:27 pm

1)
williamconley wrote:Let's start slow 8)

1) You say you have two network cards, one for internal and one for external. Do you have two internet IP addresses (one for your router and one for your vicidial box ...) or only one internet IP address (which will be for your vicidial box ONLY, and your agents will not have internet)?

I asked this a long time ago and never got an answer.

How have you configured the system at present? You have it set up inside the firewall on a 192.168.X IP address or is it using the external IP address?

You cannot use the external IP for both the router and the vicidial box. one ip, one use. if you put the IP on the vicidial box you cannot use it for the router also. if you want to try to use the vicidial box as a "router" it can be done with iptables, but you'll likely not like the results (all network traffic flowing through your vicidial box is a bad idea). You're better off leaving it on the internal network only and not using the second network card. Pass all traffic through your router (for agents AND for vicidial), so that internet traffic can skip the vicidial server entirely.

2)
Recordings are covered in the manual (and stored in the /var/spool/asterisk/monitorDONE) Have you READ the manual? 8)
williamconley

Postby OneLoveAmaru » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:13 pm

Basic networking lesson..

You can only have 1 Default Gateway. If you have two, you are going to have problems.

Configure your Internal Network WITHOUT the default gateway.

Configure the connection to the Internet WITH the default gateway.

However, if you want to make the server the router to let people out to the internet, that's a little bit more work and honestly, I'm not sure why you would do that. If you already have a router, why not use the router ??
OneLoveAmaru

Postby williamconley » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:23 pm

if he only has one ip address and he wants it to be used by the vicidial server (directly, no NAT), the vicidial server would have to route all internet traffic.

believe it or not, i have a couple that do this for that very reason.

but i do not recommend it. 8)
williamconley

Postby randy_delgado_03 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:41 pm

vkjalan,

Basically when having only 1 Public IP address, I usually make a firewall, do NAT(Network Address Translation) to provide internet access to all of my inernal devices such as workstations, servers INCLUDING the vicidial server. That way you can set the firewall as the default gateway of your internal network or if you're in a INTER VLAN network, set a ROUTE on the CORE ROUTER to use the firewall as the gateway of last resort Ex.: in cisco: ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x <- as the default gateway.
ViciBox v.7.0.3-160505
Asterisk 11.22.0-vici
Vicidial: VERSION: 2.12-563a BUILD: 160801-2119
Servers: Stand alone server (Database, Web, Telephony)
No Additional Softwares, No Third Party Softwares
randy_delgado_03

Postby enavaro » Tue May 03, 2011 11:32 pm

I think this would be a help with my experienced with Linksys router (a basic one also)

You only need one NIC card to access internal IP and external IP. The trick was in the router.

Just set your router in DHCP mode then reserve a private IP address like 192.168.1.254 and of course I assume that your default gateway would be 192.168.1.1 and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Configure this in your server by "yast lan". Test everything from workstation to your server. If it is good, don't touch anything. The next trick is in your router to get your external public Ip address.

How to do it?

Simply -- add your private IP address of your server (192.168.1.254) in DMZ tab. Then save setting, you are good to go!

To find your public ip address just go to your one of your workstation stations, open a browser type http://ipchicken.com/. This will give you your external public IP address.

You can test it if you want to access your server just open another browser and type the public ip address. then you will see your vicidial welcome page.

With regards with your station sure you can have an internet access (remember your set your router in DHCP?) just set your workstation IP address acquire automatically. Happy surfing!
VicidialNow CE 1.3
Version: 2.0.5-174
Build: 90522-0506
Asterisk 1.2.30.2
enavaro

Return to ViciBox Server Install and Demo