Zypper UP breaks sshd

Support forum for the ViciBox ISO Server Install and ISO LiveCD Demo

Moderators: enjay, williamconley, Staydog, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba

Zypper UP breaks sshd

Postby frequency » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:22 pm

Hi,

Installed vicibox 8.1.2 version a week back and updated it via Zypper and had no issues.

Today, i did the same and passwords won't work for root. Did zypper ref and zypper up. The server wasn't rebooted so the SSH is still online but even when i change password for the root, it won't connect saying the password is incorrect. The password vicidial won't work nor the default pass with which the server was installed with.

EDIT: it seems like it breaks open-ssh. need to add to variable in sshd_config work but still, you would be locked out if you don't have direct access. It happening after 19 Oct update and was working fine until 18 Oct update.
frequency

Re: Zypper UP breaks sshd

Postby williamconley » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:59 pm

1) Post your Vicidial Version with Build even if you don't think it's relevant. Always. make it a habit.

2) Downgrade the package you believe responsible to see if you can "fix and re-break" by upgrading downgrading that package. Otherwise there's still the possibility that you have a completely different problem. I can't count the number of times a simple change has broken something ... and it turns out something else entirely was the problem and the "simple change" was a mere coincidence.

3) Does key access still work? Is it password-only that fails?

4) WHY are you doing daily updates?
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby rameez.amjad4 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:49 pm

Can you please post command to downgrade the ssh package or is it OK if we do new installation with out zypper up - y updating it?
Please update, thanks.
rameez.amjad4

Postby Kumba » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:28 pm

I've downgraded openssh from 7.8p1 back to 7.7p1 since that is what was in ViciBox anyways. You should be able to do a zypper refresh and zypper up to pull it in. I've also unlinked the home:vicidial openssh package from the opensuse network one, so it won't auto-publish any updates they make.
Kumba

Postby frequency » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:09 am

Kumba wrote:I've downgraded openssh from 7.8p1 back to 7.7p1 since that is what was in ViciBox anyways. You should be able to do a zypper refresh and zypper up to pull it in. I've also unlinked the home:vicidial openssh package from the opensuse network one, so it won't auto-publish any updates they make.

Perfect, thank you! Although, i don't see the update after zypper refresh and up. "Nothing to do"
frequency

Postby Kumba » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:08 pm

frequency wrote:
Kumba wrote:I've downgraded openssh from 7.8p1 back to 7.7p1 since that is what was in ViciBox anyways. You should be able to do a zypper refresh and zypper up to pull it in. I've also unlinked the home:vicidial openssh package from the opensuse network one, so it won't auto-publish any updates they make.

Perfect, thank you! Although, i don't see the update after zypper refresh and up. "Nothing to do"

Oh, my bad. I forgot to increase the release priority of it so that it takes precedence. Normally the packages go by pure version number. There's a secondary 'release' priority number that starts at zero so you can do things like rollbacks on packages easily. I forgot to increment this from 0 to 1.

Give the repositories about 30 minutes to rebuild and you should see it pull in during a zypper up.
Kumba

Postby frequency » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:35 pm

Kumba wrote:
frequency wrote:

Oh, my bad. I forgot to increase the release priority of it so that it takes precedence. Normally the packages go by pure version number. There's a secondary 'release' priority number that starts at zero so you can do things like rollbacks on packages easily. I forgot to increment this from 0 to 1.

Give the repositories about 30 minutes to rebuild and you should see it pull in during a zypper up.

openSUSE-Leap-42.3-ViciDial was rebuilt but no update for open-ssh yet :cry:

We managed to make it work by adding the following to sshd_config
PermitRootLogin yes
PubKeyAuthentication yes

Cheers!
frequency

Postby rameez.amjad4 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:16 pm

So if we make a fresh install now and do zypper up -y it will work smooth?

We will be access server from putty now?
rameez.amjad4

Postby frequency » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:15 pm

rameez.amjad4 wrote:So if we make a fresh install now and do zypper up -y it will work smooth?

We will be access server from putty now?

Yes, it works now. openssh-7.7p1-10.1.x86_64.

Thanks a lot!
frequency

Postby rameez.amjad4 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:16 pm

Yes it's working, thanks
rameez.amjad4

Return to ViciBox Server Install and Demo