High traffic on the server

General and Support topics relating to ViciDialNow and GoAutoDial ISO installers

Moderators: enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, s0lid

High traffic on the server

Postby chicagoinbound » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:52 pm

Recently I received a message that my server (hosted) is causing traffic and they need to shut it down or I should upgrade to a higher bandwidth.

=================================
Please be informed that we have observed an abnormal traffic activity (suspicious spamming / hacking attempt) detected on your server 209.126.68.227 for the last 1 hour at a very high rate of 180 mbps. We are attaching MRTG graph with this alert for your reference.

Please consider this alert as SERIOUS and also note that the ISP will eventually block the IP of your server if the unwanted traffic (suspicious spamming / hacking) activity continues, and hence we are sending this alert to ensure that you check/monitor your server and fix any issues that may be causing the high bandwidth usage.
=================================

Is there a way to block this this kind of activity? Thanks in advance!!

Goautodial 2.1
Hosted cloud server
4core 4gig
chicagoinbound

Re: High traffic on the server

Postby louis_sgc » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:49 pm

You are not posting in the correct forum. This is for ViciDial related questions and your questions is a general linux administration question.

You should get more details from your ISP regarding the traffic. There are lots of reasons you could be doing 180 mbps, for example, maybe you are just pushing that much traffic, or maybe you have a malware outbreak or a spam outbreak. Your server could be getting utilized as a DDoS host.

You should really get more details or get a full netstat printout to see.
Vicidial Single Server and Cluster Hosting Experts
24/7/365 Support Available - English/Espanol
Tel: 1-503-334-3515 | Synapse Global
louis_sgc

Return to ViciDialNow - GoAutoDial