The NA (No Answer) status

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

The NA (No Answer) status

Postby bob » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:57 am

Hi,

The way I understand it is that vicidial disposes calls that don't get answered on the other end, and also disconnected numbers as NA. Is there a way to tell between the two? Should I maybe check the logs for hints of which is which?

Thank you in advance.
bob

Postby mflorell » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:23 pm

It depends on the type of trunk you are using as well as the country you are in.

With some carriers, a Congestion sends the Disconnect signal, and dialing the same number 5 minutes later will yield a connection.

I have also seen a disconnected number that will ring for 30 seconds before sending a disconnect code. If your dial timeout is less than 30 seconds there is no way of knowing that would be a disconnected number.

Call progress signalling in the USA is a mess, and you can thank deregulation and lack of standardsenforment for that.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby bob » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:01 am

Thank you for your replay mflorell.

My dial timeout is 26 seconds. I'm using sip trunking and dialing to germany.

Any information would be appreciated.
bob

You are more or less lucky...

Postby explidous » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:47 am

In Germany ISDN as well as PRI signaling is usually going to give you the propper return codes, however with SIP standards are not yet as closely defined, so it depends on what your provider will send you.

The problem here is that you can receive a invalid number response even when the number is valid, for example when certain kinds of PBX systems are attached but not working correctly or devices are not plugged in or lost power.

To see how your provider translates those you should run a test on numbers that you know are falling into those cathegories.

Frank
explidous

Return to Support