Asterisk 16 and server replacement

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Asterisk 16 and server replacement

Postby RBecker » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:51 am

Following up on Matt's post on the ViciPhone v3 release announcement, he stated that Asterisk 16 is ready for production use and can be switched to. My question is, do all agent servers in a cluster need to be running the same Asterisk version, or can we have a mix of 13 and 16 running at the same time?

Slightly related, if we do need to keep everything on the same version, I have some ViciBox v9 servers that only support 13 that would need to be upgraded. Is there a process for replacing already existing servers in the system? Can I just wipe the drive, install a new v10, and use the same server settings that were in place before and have everything get rebuilt once it joins the cluster? Or do I need to delete it from the Servers entry first and then set it up new?
Managed & Dedicated ViciDial Hosting | VoIP Trunking and Termination | https://www.dial-fusion.com/
Main Cluster: 21 Agent Servers | Dedicated DB and Separate Reports Server | 2 Web Servers | HAProxy Load Balancing | Dedicated Archive Server
RBecker

Re: Asterisk 16 and server replacement

Postby mflorell » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:24 pm

You can have different Asterisk versions on the same cluster. This is something we specifically test for.

As for upgrading, no need to delete the existing servers entry, just make sure the Asterisk Version is correct and you should be good to go.
mflorell
Site Admin

Re: Asterisk 16 and server replacement

Postby RBecker » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:40 pm

Good to know different versions are supported. Just to confirm, if I were to fully reinstall one of my servers and move it to Asterisk 16 in the process, there's nothing special I need to do besides updating the Asterisk version in the Server settings? The install script won't error out if the server already exists in the system?
Managed & Dedicated ViciDial Hosting | VoIP Trunking and Termination | https://www.dial-fusion.com/
Main Cluster: 21 Agent Servers | Dedicated DB and Separate Reports Server | 2 Web Servers | HAProxy Load Balancing | Dedicated Archive Server
RBecker

Return to Support