IP Address of one server in a cluster randomly changes

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

IP Address of one server in a cluster randomly changes

Postby VFRDavid » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:40 pm

Let me start by giving you the versions of my system/servers:
Running a multi-server cluster running Version 2.14-670a that has 10 servers total. They are all running SVN 2973 and they were originally built using the v7 ISO. The 10 servers are tasked as follows:

1 DB / Web Server (no agents/asterisk/telephony)
1 Web/Telephony server running asterisk v11.21.2-vici
6 Web/Telephony servers running asterisk v11.22.0-vici
2 Web/Telephony servers running asterisk v13.27.0-vici

So - now for my question/issue - and this is definitely a new one for me. Whenever I run iax2 show peers like TSTh from the asterisk CLI of any of our telephony servers, one of the servers running asterisk v13.27.0-vici flips between two different IP addresses in the "Host" column of the resulting display. It's own - and our database server's IPv4 address. If I execute this show peers command repeatedly, it looks like it spends only about 5 - 10 seconds showing the DB Server's IPv4 address - and 30 - 40 seconds showing its own public IPv4 address. Here is a screen shot of the output I am seeing: Image

Until recently, this server was dormant/offline/inactive - this was because our hosting facility dropped the public IPv4 subnet its old address was in. Since it only represented about 75 trunks and 0 agents (of our 2,500 trunks / 200 agents) it wasn't a burning issue to get it back online - but - we recently got a new IP address for it, so I brought it back to life. Once they updated the public IP address on the box, I SSH'ed into it and did the rest (ran the ADMIN_update_server_ip.pl to update it from the old to the new IP address, checked the SIP.conf file to make sure the externip address was correct, checked the vicidial_servers table to make sure there weren't any left-over old IP addresses anywhere and double checked the astguiclient.conf file for accuracy as well). Once I believed all looked as it should, I restarted this server...plus it's been about a week since bringing this server online - so all of our servers have been restarted daily since then, and the problem persists.

Now, even though I've done this dozens (maybe hundreds) of times successfully on other servers, I can't help but think that I did something to screw this up - but I can't figure out what. Ever since I've brought this server back online, using it's new IP address - if I go to the CLI of any of the other telephony servers and run iax2 show peers like TST - sometimes it shows the new IP address - but other times it shows the public IP address of the DATABASE SERVER - an address it NEVER had. If I repeat the iax2 show peers like TST command over and over, it will revert back to the correct IP address - for a while - and then go back to the DB Server's IP address again.

Does anyone have any idea what .conf file I might have stepped on or how I can correct this? Thanks!
David
VFRDavid

Re: IP Address of one server in a cluster randomly changes

Postby williamconley » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:32 pm

The changing IP likely indicates you have TWO servers registering to the same IAX2 account. Last one to register "wins" the entry in the resulting display when queried.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Return to Support