Adding a new asterisk server to an existing install

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Adding a new asterisk server to an existing install

Postby SPAMSAM » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:44 am

I have a full server (db,web,tel) that was installed using the vicibox iso 9.0.1.

So I would like to add an extra asterisk server to spread the lodad, but frankly i'm still confused after reading up on it.

During the install of the second server, do I:
- Select only an asterisk server?
- Select an asterisk and web server combo?
- Select another full installation?

Just trying to conceptualise how to 'connect' it all.

Setup details:
VERSION: 2.14-832a
BUILD: 211027-1031
© 2021 ViciDial Group
SPAMSAM

Re: Adding a new asterisk server to an existing install

Postby carpenox » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:37 pm

select only asterisk if you are not using webrtc, if you are using webrtc select web and telephony, that being said, its not a bad idea to do a full installation, then just stop the mysql service from being enabled, but this way, worst case scenario your other server can take over as a full server if the other has issues, like a backup plan. Just make sure you run your backup each night, and scp the file over to the other server so u have copies of it there as well. And i hope you have upgraded your OS to leap 15.2 or 15.3, if not you can follow my blog on how to do so:

https://dialer.one/how-to-upgrade-opens ... 2-or-15-3/

Chris
Last edited by carpenox on Wed May 03, 2023 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alma Linux 9.3 | Version: 2.14-911a | SVN Version: 3815 | DB Schema Version: 1710 | Asterisk 18.18.1
www.dialer.one -:- 1-833-DIALER-1 -:- https://linktr.ee/CyburDial -:- WhatsApp: +19549477572 -:- Skype: live:carpenox_3
carpenox

Postby SPAMSAM » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:05 am

Thank you very much for the assist. This paints a clearer picture for me.

Last question, do the recordings get stored on the asterisk server the call was made from? Just want to confirm - assuming there is no archive server in place.
SPAMSAM

Postby carpenox » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:00 am

yes sir thats correct
Alma Linux 9.3 | Version: 2.14-911a | SVN Version: 3815 | DB Schema Version: 1710 | Asterisk 18.18.1
www.dialer.one -:- 1-833-DIALER-1 -:- https://linktr.ee/CyburDial -:- WhatsApp: +19549477572 -:- Skype: live:carpenox_3
carpenox

Postby williamconley » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:19 pm

SPAMSAM wrote:Thank you very much for the assist. This paints a clearer picture for me.

Last question, do the recordings get stored on the asterisk server the call was made from? Just want to confirm - assuming there is no archive server in place.

File Locations ... on EACH dialer:

/var/spool/asterisk/monitor - Call is in progress
/var/spool/asterisk/monitorDONE - Call has ended
/var/spool/asterisk/monitorDONE/ORIG - UNcompressed WAV file storage after a compressed copy has been made. This folder ONLY has redundant audio files (that can be deleted at will)
/var/spool/asterisk/monitorDONE/MP3 - Compressed file awaiting further processing
/var/spool/asterisk/monitorDONE/FTP - Compressed file AFTER the MP3 has been sent to the FTP service
/var/spool/asterisk/monitorDONE /FTP2 - Compressed file AFTER the MP3 has been sent to the 2nd FTP service

Deletion of files in the ORIG folder should be nightly or whenever you feel like cleaning it out.

Deletion of the files in the FTP folder should also be nightly or "whenever" IF you do not have a secondary FTP service

Deletion of the files in the FTP2 folder should also be nightly (but there won't be any if you don't have a secondary FTP service)

The MP3 folders files should never be deleted as they are awaiting the "push to FTP" script to run.

DO NOT leave the files in the MP3 folder. That folder can become Too Full to Even Look At when there are over 50k files in it. Lately they have modified the system to allow dated folders in the MP3 folder, which should help with that problem.

Note that using your dialer(s) as an audio storage facllity can become a problem if the HD dies. Dialers have NO other data in them and as such are (essentially) disposable. IE: If one dies, you can quick-install a fresh server and be back online. Unless you just lost all your recordings. Or unless you have a "copy" somewhere that must be restored that includes 2T of recordings (that'll take a while to restore).

Much better idea to push all the audio recordings to an FTP service, even if that service is on one of the Vicidial Cluster servers but stored in the /home/ folder which has a 2T HD mounted in it ... so it won't be wiped if the OS HD dies. Just mount it into the rebuilt server. Also not a bad idea to mirror the FTP-mounted HD if your recordings are "mision-critical" or required by law. On the other hand, if you use the FTP2 secondary ftp script you can push the audio recordings to a second physical server and have redundancy without a mirror.

I highly recommend using the avaiable options for the FTP script. Espedially the confirmation and persistent options. Verifying the successful upload before moving the local file to the "next folder" can avoid any possible file loss. Persistent connection dramatically reduces file transfer times. Useful if you only run the scripts after hours to reduce network usage and CPU time on the dialers.

Vicidial does have some cool enterprise options. 8-)
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Return to Support