Internal PBX Setup

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Internal PBX Setup

Postby streetboy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:25 pm

Hi,

I need some recommendations from experts.

We have 1 Analogue line being terminated at our office. Right now we are just using 1 line and 1 telephone set for making inbound and outbound calls.
Right now we are thinking of setting up PBX, like setting up 3 IP Telephony sets for making and receiving calls using the same analogue line.

I have done some reading and I came to know we can use Cisco Router2600 with Voice Card and connect it to Vicidial/Asterisk OR buy Digium Asterisk FXO Card and install it in Asterisk Server and then do the configuration accordingly.

So, what do the experts recommend here to either go with Cisco Gateway Router or Digium Asterisk Card or any other recommended way. Which one would be working more smoothly?

Thank you.
streetboy

Re: Internal PBX Setup

Postby carpenox » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:48 pm

well digium/sangoma works intricately with asterisk built in already so i would go that route? just my opinion tho
Alma Linux 9.3 | SVN Version: 3822 | DB Schema Version: 1711 | Asterisk 18.18.1
www.dialer.one -:- 1-833-DIALER-1 -:- https://linktr.ee/CyburDial -:- WhatsApp: +19549477572 -:- Skype: live:carpenox_3 | Discord: https://discord.gg/DVktk6smbh
carpenox

Postby streetboy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:39 pm

thank you for your suggestion, we will go with PCI card than.
streetboy

Postby williamconley » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:50 pm

Challenge: If there is ever a problem with the Vicidial server and you need to replace it, you will need to move that "Card" into the new server, and load necessary drivers, and configure the card, just to get that one line "up" and running. Some days this is easier than others. And if you're in a panic because your Vici server's HD died, it can be a little tense before trying to load drivers.

If, however, you get yourself a black box solution that can convert an analog single telephone line into a SIP trunk, you can then connect that SIP trunk to any asterisk server. Then a dead server will just need a restore and will "link" to the black box sip trunk just like any other external carrier. But without the firewall "challenges", as a rule. lol.

Grandstream (among others) make these in 4-8-12 port versions. They come in very handy. Look like little network switches.

And as a bonus, if you ever move to a new location and need to forward that line, all you need to do is leave the black box in the previous location with an internet connection. We have had several customers who maintained an internet-connected router in a phone closet for several months after moving out of a location because they could not successfully port their phone number. These days porting numbers is much easier, of course. And that was risky (since in most cases they did not get permission to leave networking equipment plugged in after leaving). But in all cases it worked out. They were always able to switch to a new phone number by moving almost all their clients to the new number, or successfully porting the number after a lengthy battle with a phone company.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Return to Support