Sip.conf minexpiry question

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Sip.conf minexpiry question

Postby VernonIT » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:08 am

Good day,

I have a question with regards to settings for minexpiry, defaultexpiry in sip.conf

I did a wireshark on our Vicibox (VERSION: 2.14-694a) and saw that every 2 minutes there is a "SIP/2.0 401 Unauthorized" when the VOIP server is trying to register to the Vicidial server. And then 27 milliseconds later it registers 200 OK.
Agents is complaining that they hear a brief break (less than a second) in sound when the client is talking to the agents.

Current settings:
defaultexpiry: 120
maxexpiry: 3600
min expiry: 60

I want to change it to:
defaultexpiry: 240
maxexpiry: 3600
min expiry: 240

What I want to know is, what is the max time for incoming registrations. Will my change cause any call issues? eg unable to dial out or any sound issues....?

Current setup/config
Vicidial
VERSION: 2.14-694a
BUILD: 181005-1738
Asterisk
13.21.1 running linux suse
Vicidial & asterisk is 2 seprate VM Servers on 2 seperate boxes
VernonIT

Re: Sip.conf minexpiry question

Postby ambiorixg12 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:06 am

First you need to understand the purpose of the REGISTRATION process and then you will know what could be affected changing these setting. In a short sentence \

SIP Registration is used for discovery, if a user wants to make a phone call to another user, then SIP must discover the IP address at which the destination user is reachable

It has nothing to do with sound issue, and I dont think neither with outboud calls becuase trunk use static IP or domain name
ambiorixg12

Re: Sip.conf minexpiry question

Postby williamconley » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:17 pm

VernonIT wrote: "SIP/2.0 401 Unauthorized" when the VOIP server is trying to register to the Vicidial server.

This is not an error. It is merely a prerequisite to authorizing. Remember this is a computer system written by an engineer. They don't get up and brush their teeth in the morning. They open their eyes, move the blanket, move their legs, put their feet on the floor ... lol. In this case "unauthorized" means "send me your credentials" (which I could definitely see always happening 27 milliseconds later, quite reasonable). That's all.

Audio breaks are often jitter or lag, but sometimes it's related to the phone itself or even the headset (I have a bluetooth headset that does this enough to be annoying). Registration is not related, as the call is Live. So you should be hunting what would cause a synchronization reset in the phone unless you've installed multiple soft phones and found it to be universal. Then start looking at networking (jitter/lag) that would coincide with the hiccup.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Return to Support