Server Upgrade !!!

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Server Upgrade !!!

Postby gequiros » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:02 pm

Hello GURUs... hope you guys are recovering from a few tequilas during the weekend...

My current setup:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vicibox 8.0.1

VERSION: 2.14-676a / BUILD: 180530-0017 / No VoIP hardware

1 x DataBase ( 128gb Ram - 32 Cores - 4 x SAS 300gb 15k RPM)
1 x Slave DB & Archive & Web Server ( All 3 tasks on one server with: 8gbs Ram, 12 cores / 24 threads, 2TB )
10 x Dialers ( 8gb Ram - 16 Cores / 32 threads and 120gb SSD)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At current time i am CONSIDERING upgrading to VICI-BOX latest ISO (8.1.2)

Does it holds many improvements ? I have seen newer ASTERISK ( i guess it is more stable than previous one )
Would be a safe bet to just create a DB dump for later on restoring on the new / updated cluster ?

If i backup and restore Voice Recordings from/to archive server, when i log in again, they all should be available and ready to be heard, correct ?

Thanks so much !!!
Vicibox / ISO

1 x DataBase
1 x Archive
1 x Web
Many dialers

www.Come2VoIP.com
WhatsApp: +1-305-320-1786
gequiros

Re: Server Upgrade !!!

Postby williamconley » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:27 pm

If you are here asking this question, you should NOT be upgrading. This is not Windows, my friend. If it's working leave it alone.

If you feel the need to upgrade "everything" (The OS, Vicidial, all packages): the method is ...

1) Full Backup Backup using the admin backup tool. Full backup of all Audio Recordings (these are NOT backed up by the admin backup tool).
2) Verify Backup of DB was successful (restore it somewhere, be sure leads campaigns users are all present ... especially the First and Last of each).
3) Copy the backup to a different server.
4) Full Reinstall. Verify the new server works (one campaign, carrier, user, list). If it doesn't, fix it before continuing.
5) Backup the new working system! Also make a spare copy of the System and Server tables into their own .sql files. I'm not going to mention them again, but some day you'll get what they are for and use them. Not likely today, if you're here, but some day.
6) Restore the original database onto this newly built server. Immediately run the "ip update" script if the IP has changed from the old server. Run it with the "old ip" as the previous server IP and the new IP as the present server IP.
7) Modify your admin->server information to be sure it's correct for the new server (asterisk version? but check everything, one line at a time just to be certain).
8) Modify your admin->system settings to be sure it's correct for the new server (various IP addresses or domain names may have changed, depending on your install).

If you feel a need to upgrade VICIDIAL ONLY (not a bad idea, once in a while), you can use the instructions in /usr/src/astguiclient/trunk/UPGRADE. Not particularly hard. Remember to always "copy the sample conf files" in case there are changes (which WILL require that any manually modified .conf files be re-edited ... especially externip in sip.conf).

But I really think you should avoid upgrading unless the system is broken. Seriously. 8-)
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Return to Support