8 Network Cards in Network Setting

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

8 Network Cards in Network Setting

Postby Smarthome » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:36 pm

Guys,

i'm new with Vici Dial and still trying to learn its tricks and treats.

My server has 1 built in network card (1gbps each 4 ports) & 1 additional Network Card (1gbs each 4 ports).

when ever i go to "yast lan" instead of seeing 1 or 2 network cards it shows me 8 different cards to do the setting against them, as per demo and online tutorial, i assigned 1 static IP and did IPV4 setting and connected my internet lan into it and it started to work like it suppose to work in demo video.

However; my computers are unable to connect to server or internet if i plug lan wire into empty ports on my server machine ! it keep showing [yellow (!) mark] on the computer that is connected on other ports of the server.

in "yast Lan" only 1st card/lan port is assigned Static ip while others are on default setting (DHCP).

When i connect same lan wire to my internet router, it connects me to server aswell the internet starts to work !

Please guide me how can i use the built in ports to connect my computers to Vicibox server instead of buying an additional switch because i cannot afford to buy a switch after spending such a big fortune on this server and built in additional switch to avoid buying rack and switches.

looking forward for your help

Email:- arslan@smarthomeconnexus.com

Regards,
Arslan Naeem
Smarthome

Re: 8 Network Cards in Network Setting

Postby ngtechnologies » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:08 am

Simple way, and cheap is buy a simple 8port switch and not worry about it. $20USD
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Internet-Splitter/dp/B00KFD0SEA/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_t_1/142-7917034-2461807?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2PYD5B87JBETRRCA6VZ6

no headaches, no coding, simple hardware....plug and play
ngtechnologies

Postby williamconley » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:30 am

Did you power up and boot from the CD with those two cards installed already? What installation .iso image are you using or did you use? What stage are you at in the installation process? (OS already installed? Or did you JUST boot from the .iso?)

1) Welcome to the Party! 8-)

2) As you are obviously new here, I have some suggestions to help us all help you:

When you post, please post your entire configuration including (but not limited to) your installation method (7.X.X?) and vicidial version with build (VERSION: 2.X-XXXx ... BUILD: #####-####).

This IS a requirement for posting along with reading the stickies (at the top of each forum) and the manager's manual (available on EFLO.net, both free and paid versions)

You should also post: Asterisk version, telephony hardware (model number is helpful here), cluster information if you have one, and whether any other software is installed in the box. If your installation method is "manual/from scratch" you must post your operating system with version (and the .iso version from which you installed your original operating system) plus a link to the installation instructions you used. If your installation is "Hosted" list the site name of the host.

If this is a "Cloud" or "Virtual" server, please note the technology involved along with the version of that techology (ie: VMware Server Version 2.0.2). If it is not, merely stating the Motherboard model # and CPU would be helpful.

Similar to This:

Vicibox X.X from .iso | Vicidial X.X.X-XXX Build XXXXXX-XXXX | Asterisk X.X.X | Single Server | No Digium/Sangoma Hardware | No Extra Software After Installation | Intel DG35EC | Core2Quad Q6600
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby Smarthome » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:10 am

Thank you William for your response and guidance.

Will ensure no post is without required details mentioned below except for this one.

I installed ViciBox 8.1.2 with Express option using a bootable CD burned after downloading the latest version of ViciBox.

This is internal/Local server only to handle and route calls to locally connected systems within the same room however server is connected to internet so it might be online but I don’t know how Linux or ViciBox works.

Lastly, My network cards were built into server before installation was done and there is only ViciBox 8.1.2 currently available on this server to boot and no other bolts are there.

There are no additional softwares installed except for the one which were part of ViciBox Express install as it was new install from scratch.

All lan ports are visible on Yast Lan menu however they are on default mode “ Dhcp “ whereas only first port was provided with static up which we now use to access Dailer on systems connected to it .i.e. 192.168.18.12

I used basic YouTube tutorial video and little help from support menu to instal the server

Link:- https://youtu.be/S8TJ5UOLxlA

Link image of Yast Lan Menu :- https://ibb.co/XLhqTxW

I don’t know how to extract asterisk details however we have no headphones instead “Eyebeam” is being used on computers where Dailer is accessed.

I hope this information was any good for you.

Regards,

Arslan Muggo
Smarthome

Postby williamconley » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:26 pm

If you only have two network ports and there are more than two network cards shown in yast lan, it's possible you have other PCI cards or device hardware installed in the server. You may want to try reinstalling after removing any excess hardware (which vicidial won't be using anyway) to reduce confusion.

Note that "first port" in the physical world has no relation to "first port" when viewing yast lan or "ifconfig".

It's also possible that those 8 network cards listed are somehow the result of an express install instead of the standard install. I never use express and don't recommend it. Express is specfically designed for "i have zero computer experience or capability, just do it for me". You don't sound like you should be using it. Also Express is the last thing to be debugged for any given situation (including hardware related oddities that only occur with specific hardware).

I DO recommend reinstalling several times. It's free. But it gets you used to how Vicidial Installation works and can cause the "Magic!" to go away. It becomes a fairly simple installation when you've done it several time.

Use the PDF available on Vicibox.com to install using the Standard installer after removing any unnecessary hardware and you may find that you get a much more understandable LAN card list. But at least you'll be more comfortable with the install, and have a Standard Vicibox install. Free.

On the other hand, it doesn't hurt anything to have unused network devices. Just don't use them. lol
williamconley

Postby ngtechnologies » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:37 pm

If i understand what he wants to do is.......he wants to use his server as a Dialer and then use the 7 extra ports as a switch.

Basically 1 port cabled to his router, and the other 7 cabled to PCs for dialing. When he plugs a cable from a PC into the network card in the server, the PCs have no internet connection.

Yes, instead for buying the 4 port card for the server, he should have bought a simple 8 port switch and he would be dialing now and not still working on configuration.
ngtechnologies

Postby williamconley » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:46 pm

ngtechnologies wrote:If i understand what he wants to do is.......he wants to use his server as a Dialer and then use the 7 extra ports as a switch.

Basically 1 port cabled to his router, and the other 7 cabled to PCs for dialing. When he plugs a cable from a PC into the network card in the server, the PCs have no internet connection.

Yes, instead for buying the 4 port card for the server, he should have bought a simple 8 port switch and he would be dialing now and not still working on configuration.

If your assertion is correct, you are also correct. The "extra ports" is not necessary ON any router (including when you use a Linux server as a router). A router can be connected to a single port and be used to cause that single port to be duplicated.

If the Vicidial server is consuming the only public IP, he may still need to use it as a router/firewall for the rest of the network so two network ports would be needed on the the Vicidial server: One public and one private. The private one could then be connected to a switch to provide a local private network.
williamconley

Postby ngtechnologies » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:52 am

Smarthome wrote:Guys,

However; my computers are unable to connect to server or internet if i plug lan wire into empty ports on my server machine ! it keep showing [yellow (!) mark] on the computer that is connected on other ports of the server.

Regards,
Arslan Naeem

Thats what i read, he wants to use his Vicidial server as a switch, cable server to router and the PCs to the server. But he stated he doesnt want to spend money on a switch, so he is wanting a solution to route through the server to the router
ngtechnologies

Postby Smarthome » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:25 pm

ngtechnologies wrote:If i understand what he wants to do is.......he wants to use his server as a Dialler and then use the 7 extra ports as a switch.

Basically 1 port cabled to his router, and the other 7 cabled to PCs for dialling. When he plugs a cable from a PC into the network card in the server, the PCs have no internet connection.

Yes, instead for buying the 4 port card for the server, he should have bought a simple 8 port switch and he would be dialling now and not still working on configuration.

This is exactly what i want to do ! i should have bought a separate switch and it would have been working by now but Sales Guy ended up selling me this by making me think its all the same and this easiest and cheapest option
Is there anyway we can use extra 7 lan ports on server to connect PC's with it ? so dialler and internet can be accessed ? is there any such option ? because i do see 8 network options in "Yast Lan" menu as shown in image
Smarthome

Postby williamconley » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 am

It's absolutely possible to use a server as a switch with the addition of some firewall/routing software. But that's NOT related to Vicidial. There are many linux packages out there to allow OpenSuSE to provide crap tons of functionality.

yast software has it, but google will help you identify what you're looking for.

MY advice, however, is still to go buy a Switch at the nearest big box store or electronics store. The cost of the switch will be freakin' tiny by comparison to the learning curve to get this online when added to the "if you need to reinstall Vicidial, you also have to reinstall all this other stuff". When you buy your first car, you don't immediately try to rebuild the engine when you don't have to, if you could get away with changing the spark plugs! lol
williamconley

Return to Support