Minor upgrades procedure

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Minor upgrades procedure

Postby Arffeh » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:04 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade a server from 3010 to current latest (3054)
I normally never do an upgrade (usually just wipe and reinstall).
I've dd'ed an image of the HDD before proceeding.

Server in question:
vicibox 8.0.1, all-in-one install, 2.14-679a, SVN 3010, DB schema 1549

I was just wondering if the below procedure would be correct for an in-place upgrade:

I have located in upgrade_2.14.sql the queries to upgrade to go from 1549 to DB schema 1561.

Would it be correct to:
update trunk/ to 3054
Run only the required queries to acheive DB schema 1561 from 1549
run "install.pl --copy_sample_conf_files" to replace upgraded files (AFAIK existing install info is autopopulated?)
Rebuild conf files=Y
reboot?

Is there anywhere to check for any new dependencies between revisions (perl modules etc), or am I being pedantic at that point?

Have I got anything incorrect/any misconceptions about this procedure?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Arffeh on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arffeh

Re: Minor upgrades procedure

Postby williamconley » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:09 pm

I suggest you add:
Code: Select all
install.pl --copy_sample_conf_files

This way if there are any changes to those files that are required to run the newest version, you won't spend a few hours trying to find out why this one "used to work" function just suddenly stopped during production later in the week. That's from personal experience of several clients. As soon as we hear "upgraded a few days ago, but it was working fine ... um, no, now that you mention it I'm not certain anyone used this function since then ...".

Note that this will overwrite the standard XXX.conf files (sip.conf ... extensions.conf ...) so it's a good idea to copy the /etc/asterisk folder before running the install in case you need to bring forward any changes (and then, of course, work on merging those changes into the Vicidial Web configuration system instead of modifying the actual .conf files, so NEXT time you don't have to manually update them ... again).

PS: Always include your full Vicidial Version with Build. Every post. Make it a habit.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby Arffeh » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:42 pm

Cheers for the quick response.

Noted, I should be a bit more specific:
Vicibox 8.0.1 from .iso | Vicidial 2.14-679a BUILD 180618-2300 | Asterisk 11.25.1-vici | SVN 3010 | DB SCHEMA 1549 | Single Server | No Digium/Sangoma Hardware | No Extra Software After Installation | 16gb ECC RAM @ 2133Mhz | Xeon E3-1225 V5 @ 3.3Ghz | LOADAVG 1.9 | g729

The only change in the default files is externip, which is fine.
I updated 1st post to reflect correct procedure if someone else stumbles on the post.

Aside from that, no need to hunt down anything else?
Arffeh

Postby williamconley » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:50 pm

Xeon E3-1225 V5
Core count would be nice. Brand and model of CPU is cool, but then anyone curious would need to look up the core count. We used to suggest folks list their motherboard, too (because in the old days it wasn't that easy to find a motherboard that would accept Vicibox or the "other" installer cleanly: so having a list of success/fail was Very Handy). Note that the Chipset on the Motherboard is what drivers are written for, not the CPU itself.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Return to Support