Number of Cores vs Processor speeds

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Number of Cores vs Processor speeds

Postby alo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:37 am

Hey Guys!

I know this has been somewhat discussed previously, But I can't seem to find it.
What have people experienced with Processors for database vs Dialers?

Is it better to have more physical cores that are slower, or faster processors with fewer cores?
For database and also for dialers.

For some reason I was thinking the asterisk servers are better with more cores and the database is better with fewer faster cores. but I may have that backwards.

I am specifically looking at
X5570 4 Cores, 8 Threads @2.93 GHz
E5645 6 Cores, 12 Threads @2.4 GHz
it would be for a dell r610 with 2 cpu's
alo

Re: Number of Cores vs Processor speeds

Postby Kumba » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:33 pm

Most anything over about a quad-core is lost on the dialers. By the time you are able to actually max out a quad-core processor Asterisk will likely start messing up or crashing.

The database likes around 8 fast CPU cores. So you'd be better serves getting 8-cores at 3.0Ghz versus 12 cores at 2.4Ghz, for example. The database is mostly IO bound not CPU bound so faster cores are more beneficial to larger numbers or cores in general. You are much better off spending your money on the drives, drive array, and memory then CPU's in a DB. Having 8 to 12 fast CPU cores is usually plenty in a database.
Kumba

Return to Support