how much load can a timing device realistically take off ?

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

how much load can a timing device realistically take off ?

Postby bobbymc » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:49 pm

we have a server that has dual 6 core cpus with hyper threading on and about 150 agents and the load goes all the way up to 40 at some point. we use the load balancing method so all outbound calls are places on dedicated servers and trunked back to the server that agents are registered to.

this is a card that was suggested by matt: http://amfeltec.com/products/x1-pci-exp ... m-timer-2/

im wondering how much this actually helps take the load off the servers cpu which currently handles timing using dahdi_dummy (used to be dahdi dummy now its part of dahdi)

any feedback is really appreciated from anyone specially matt =)

thanks guys
bobbymc

Re: how much load can a timing device realistically take off

Postby mflorell » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:05 am

It only helps on servers that agents are connected to, and it does not remove any load from the server, it allows the audio to not have problems when you get to higher loads. In our testing it allows loads to go roughly 20% higher without audio issues.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby chasejordan1 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:18 pm

I thought Hyper Threading was not a good idea?

I would suggest spreading all your agents between all your servers. So if you have 10 servers then put 15 agents on each server. I did the same as you, register all agents on one server and then load balance to all the other servers and the load on the "agents" server was very high, when I spread the agents, like I mentioned it dropped dramatically.

I would say it is an easier set up to have all the agents on one server but, load verses ease?

Hope this helps.
chasejordan1

Postby bobbymc » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:38 pm

thx for the reply, well the issue is we also provide pbx functionality and if we have agents split between all servers, they cant call each other on their xlite phones unless we setup something like dundi?
bobbymc

Postby mflorell » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:08 am

You might want to look at this System Settings option:

Generate Cross-Server Phone Extensions -This option if set to 1 will generate dialplan entries for every phone on a multi-server system. Default is 0 for inactive.
mflorell
Site Admin

Return to Support