Move stlye information to css files

Discussions about development of VICIDIAL and astGUIclient

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Move stlye information to css files

Postby CGarces » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Hi!

Sounds easy to implement and not change the actual style (.css file can contain the same info as actual $var code)

¿Any opinion about move stlye information to css files?
¿Why VICIDIAL not use .css at this time?

Un saludo
Carlos
CGarces

Postby mflorell » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:58 pm

vicidial.php is an extremely complex application that uses PHP, Javascript and AJAX(and it is not simple linear AJAX either) and some of the CSS is dynamically generated. So using static CSS would be a bit difficult to implement. At some point we are planning on rewriting the agent interface and hope to make it much more flexible at that time.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby CGarces » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:01 am

mflorell wrote: some of the CSS is dynamically generated. So using static CSS would be a bit difficult to implement.

Hi!
I have start my test with admin interface. You can generate dynamically the name of the style that use, but stlye should be in the css file (like alternate rows at tables).
If I finish de admin interface I'll send one patch for evaluation.

Un saludo
Carlos
CGarces

vicidial.php / css / javascipt / maintainability

Postby kimhoogenberg » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:09 am

mflorell wrote:vicidial.php is an extremely complex application that uses PHP, Javascript and AJAX(and it is not simple linear AJAX either) and some of the CSS is dynamically generated. So using static CSS would be a bit difficult to implement. At some point we are planning on rewriting the agent interface and hope to make it much more flexible at that time.

Good programs can be complex. Though, in that case, it is also very important to make code as easy to read as possible. Especially when you're dealing with a single page design with loads of functionality. One of the steps in this process IS using css files. That has been a standard as of last century! Furthermore, I see loads of javascript, all in de vicidial.php file. I wouldn't recommend that either. The vicidial.php file seems very much more complex then it needs to be. Also, echo-ing html code (which doesn't comply to standards too!!) isn't the way to go. This vicidial.php (which I obviously love to use and for which I'm glad that it's around, don't mistake me :) ) could be designed much better in ways that is more flexible, more easy to understand, more easy to maintain and more easy to extend. I would love contributing to this thing and get us some agent interface that blows any professional call center away!!
kimhoogenberg

Postby Baylink » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:21 am

> At some point we are planning on rewriting the agent interface and hope to make it much more flexible at that time.

Has anything ever come of this, Matt?
Baylink

Postby mflorell » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:05 pm

No one has contributed any code for this and no clients have wanted to pay for it so nothing has happened.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby Baylink » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:00 am

Well, with all due respect, Matt, the response I've both seen, and gotten, when I've broached the subject has been something akin to "yeah, we're gonna work on that", with a side of "don't bother doing it yourself unless your really motivated"... or at least, that's how it seemed to me. :-)
Baylink

Postby brett05 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:16 am

Baylink wrote:Well, with all due respect, Matt, the response I've both seen, and gotten, when I've broached the subject has been something akin to "yeah, we're gonna work on that", with a side of "don't bother doing it yourself unless your really motivated"... or at least, that's how it seemed to me. :-)

don't forget this will take many hours and if we want this we need pay the vicidial groupe for this Development or find you a programmer php, i have do this before it's not very hard.
Jasperreports & Queuemetrics & SugarCRM integration - Customization and Add-ons
Freepbx||Billing||Centos||Opensuse||Debian||Centos||Fedora||Sangoma||Diguim
brett05

Postby Baylink » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:20 am

I didn't *say* I thought it would be easy. :-)

I've been a designer and programmer (in that order), man and boy, for 25 years now; I still underestimate projects, but not by orders of magnitude. :-)
Baylink

Postby brett05 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:40 am

Baylink wrote:I didn't *say* I thought it would be easy. :-)

I've been a designer and programmer (in that order), man and boy, for 25 years now; I still underestimate projects, but not by orders of magnitude. :-)

good luck with your projects and man boys
:D :wink:
Jasperreports & Queuemetrics & SugarCRM integration - Customization and Add-ons
Freepbx||Billing||Centos||Opensuse||Debian||Centos||Fedora||Sangoma||Diguim
brett05

Postby mflorell » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:03 am

Let me put it this way, if this is not sponsored it has to be done by us in our free time, and there are a lot of other more important projects that are higher priority than this that will be done first.
mflorell
Site Admin

Return to Development