How to contribute in translating ViCiDial

Discussions about development of VICIDIAL and astGUIclient

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

How to contribute in translating ViCiDial

Postby dspaan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:54 pm

I would love to contribute by translating the Agent and Admin interfaces to Dutch. Can anyone give me an instruction what the proper steps are to do this? I checked the forum and Mantis for information but only found pieces of the puzzle.

PS: I know there already is a Dutch agent GUI but it's horrible so i would like to improve that one.
PS2: In the current Dutch translation i noticed the buttons were not translated (like Hangup Customer). But for other languages this they are translated, why is that?
PS3: How would i translate SVN releases. For instance the new QC feature that has been added?
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
Version: 2.14b0.5
SVN Version: 3199
DB Schema Version: 1588
Build: 200310-1801
dspaan

Re: How to contribute in translating ViCiDial

Postby williamconley » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:02 pm

There have been some very "on-topic" discussions recently, search for "french" ... that should get you some details.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby dspaan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:44 am

Looked but couldn't find a recent thread about French translation. Only this one by DomeDan: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26801
and this old thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19565

And they are far from being a step by step guide.
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
dspaan

Postby mflorell » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:53 am

There are these instructions for translations:
http://wiki.vicidial.org/index.php/VICI:translations

As for translating buttons, that is a very tedious process, but several have taken it on. Basically you have to create dozens of GIFs that are in the agc/images directory for the buttons and put the language abbreviation in the filename, then alter the languages file to translate the path to the ones that you have created.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby dspaan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:21 pm

Thanks Matt. Forgot all about the wiki! No problem about the buttons, i've started working on the already. I also spiced up what they look like a bit.
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
dspaan

Postby williamconley » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:08 pm

mflorell wrote:There are these instructions for translations:
http://wiki.vicidial.org/index.php/VICI:translations

As for translating buttons, that is a very tedious process, but several have taken it on. Basically you have to create dozens of GIFs that are in the agc/images directory for the buttons and put the language abbreviation in the filename, then alter the languages file to translate the path to the ones that you have created.

You know, we could build a gif generator that would take a translated version of the text to place on the button and place it in during the "build" if we had a blank button to start with. once designed for a single language, it would then work for all (assuming someone supplied the appropriate button text). We've done this for a few clients with PNGs and JPGs and GIFs for various reasons. But obviously someone would need to sponsor it
williamconley

Postby mflorell » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:25 pm

Thank you for volunteering to do that William :)
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby williamconley » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:30 pm

LOL. Happy to oblige. As soon as someone pays. Cuz I have no Xtra time til Summer. Booked. :)
williamconley

Postby dspaan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:35 pm

I'm done with translating the Dutch Agent interface. I'm still working on the buttons. Next thing is the Admin Interface but since this is over 2500 lines of text i want to make sure i'm editing the proper file. Is it ok if i edit this file:

/usr/src/astguiclient/trunk/translations/de_language_admin.txt

I noticed this file as well:

/usr/src/astguiclient/trunk/translations/raw_translation_files/TO_BE_TRANSLATED_2.6.txt

Should i edit this file as well?
What about the latest features like the new QC system, which file do i need to edit to translate those?
In which file are the names i see on the Reports page? For instance i did a search in the de_language_admin.txt file for "agent performance detail" but it wasn't in there.
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
dspaan

Postby mflorell » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:26 pm

The de_language_admin.txt file is through the 2.4 branch. The TO_BE_TRANSLATED file is for changes made since then, so it would be best to do both if you want to translate through recent svn/trunk code.

The translations are case-sensitive so if you were searching for a report name you should search with the first letters of each word being capitalized. That said, the Admin interfaces are not as frequently translated and has a lot more files in it, so there is a bigger chance of phrases being missed. As for QC, I'm not sure that made it into the new TO_BE_TRANSLATED phrases when I added it to svn/trunk. I will have to take a look at that.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby dspaan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:52 pm

And once i've translated the TO_BE_TRANSLATED file how can i include this when running the _translation_www_files.pl script?

Also i translated some of the gif images but where do i have to place them when running the perl script?

I tested the Dutch translation agent GUI and it turns out that the manual dial screen isn't working anymore. When i try to place a call nothing happens (while watching the CLI). What could be wrong?
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
dspaan

Postby mflorell » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:21 pm

images go in the standard agc/images directory and you need to add each one you have translated to the languages file like the "de" file does.

the TO_BE_TRANSLATED phrases should be inserted in to the language file, but remember, no blank lines should be in that file.

To debug, use the Firefox Error Console, that will help show where the bugs are.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby dspaan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:24 am

About the GIF images: Never mind, i placed the _nl parts in the left column of the translation file instead of the right.

I tested with firebug to see why manual dial isn't working and this is what i got in the error console:

"NetworkError: 500 Internal Server Error - http://192.168.1.201/agc_nl/vdc_db_query.php"

Any idea how i can get a more specific error?
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
dspaan

Postby DomeDan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:29 am

check /var/log/apache2/error_log
there is a few translations that will break vicidial functionality
Vicidial Partner. Region: Sweden/Norway.
Does Vicidial installation, configuration, customization, add-ons, CRM implementation, support, upgrading, network-related, pentesting etc. Remote and onsite assistance.
Email: domedan (at) gmail.com
DomeDan

Postby dspaan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:23 am

I'm seeing these errors:

[Mon Apr 08 08:18:05 2013] [error] [client 192.168.1.240] PHP Warning: require_once(audit_comments.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /srv/www/htdocs/agc_nl/vdc_db_query.php on line 2216, referer: http://192.168.1.201/agc_nl/vicidial.php
[Mon Apr 08 08:18:05 2013] [error] [client 192.168.1.240] PHP Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required 'audit_comments.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php5:/usr/share/php5/PEAR') in /srv/www/htdocs/agc_nl/vdc_db_query.php on line 2216, referer: http://192.168.1.201/agc_nl/vicidial.php

Line 2216 of vdc_db_query.php is
require_once('audit_comments.php');

This file is indeed missing in agc_nl, when i check the default agc directory the file is there. Could this be a problem caused by the perl script that generates the translated gui?
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
dspaan

Postby DomeDan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:34 am

Yes the file should be under the ***FILES*** section

***FILES***
agc|audit_comments.php|0

or you can set: agc|audit_comments.php|1 if you dont want the script to try to translate anything there

...there might be more files missing too
Does Vicidial installation, configuration, customization, add-ons, CRM implementation, support, upgrading, network-related, pentesting etc. Remote and onsite assistance.
DomeDan

Postby dspaan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:17 pm

Added that filename and and everything seems to work now, including the buttons :)
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
dspaan

Postby dspaan » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:34 pm

Finally got some time to finish the buttons this weekend. That was harder then i thought i had to remake them 3 times lol. I used this website for the buttons:
http://dabuttonfactory.com/

And this is the result:

Let me know if this is good enough for Mantis. I'll be working on the admin interface next.
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
dspaan

Postby mflorell » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:01 pm

They look great to me(of course I don't speak that language), please add them to the issue tracker and we will incorporate them into svn/trunk.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby dspaan » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:35 pm

Do you know how i can get rid of that green/pink background you see behind the dial next number/hangup buttons? I'll have it tested by the agents this week and then submit it to Mantis. Maybe there need to be some minor changes, some things are very tricky to translate...

Also in the images i noticed there was a 'MAIN' tab image. I suppose this was before the vicidial logo was introduced on the main tab. I think it would be better if that main tab would become a translatable tag again and put the vicidial logo elsewhere. Also create space for a company logo maybe?
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
dspaan

Postby mflorell » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:19 am

I believe the spans that those buttons are in have colors set, in case the buttons don't load for any reason. You would have to go look in the code to find where they are set.

As for the logo, that was a change made years ago precisely because I couldn't figure out a good place to put the logo. I didn't want to bump everything down so it could be at the top, and nobody really questioned that was the MAIN tab that you would click on. I'm sure at some point we will go through the horrible process of redesigning the agent interface, and that will be something we consider when doing that.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby williamconley » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:42 pm

mflorell wrote:I believe the spans that those buttons are in have colors set, in case the buttons don't load for any reason. You would have to go look in the code to find where they are set.

As for the logo, that was a change made years ago precisely because I couldn't figure out a good place to put the logo. I didn't want to bump everything down so it could be at the top, and nobody really questioned that was the MAIN tab that you would click on. I'm sure at some point we will go through the horrible process of redesigning the agent interface, and that will be something we consider when doing that.

i like the "Powered by Vicidial" logo at the bottom concept. Just like SugarCRM. If you put that at the bottom, and put in a stock method to "load a logo" (which would be required to be precisely the right size, or just warped to fit), it could be made to fit like a glove removing the need for a redesign. And if the Powered by VICIdial at the bottom were unobtrusive ... no one would bother removing it. Modify the license to require that it be Left There and Link to the Vicidial Primary Site ...
williamconley

Postby dspaan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:10 pm

I agree Bill! That would be neat. Another spot could be top right in the grey area (so not entirely top).
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
dspaan

Postby williamconley » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:00 pm

dspaan wrote:I agree Bill! That would be neat. Another spot could be top right in the grey area (so not entirely top).

top right bothers me because it would be too thick to fit, so the top thin-line would need to be thicker ... losing vertical space. don't know if you noticed, but vertical space is hard to give up now that most screens are horizontal by nature. that's part of why I dislike the goautodial design. the freakin' logo takes up 2" at the top of all the screens. LOL. But putting the VICIdial logo at the bottom right on the admin screens, just below the (c) symbol with a link to the copyright page or the eflo.net main page ... and just above the "VERSION ..." information in the agent screen with the same link ... may work out. Especially if we were cool and allowed the "freshly loaded" client logo to have a custom URL associated with it (so it would be easy for a client to put in their own logo with their own link ... and the Vicidial logo/link would become subordinate for those who replaced it ... but not GONE, LOL).
williamconley

Postby dspaan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:26 pm

Yup. I think you are right, you have to take all screens in consideration and i didn't think about that.

Also i need help with another problem. The View Callnotes link isn't working in the translated GUI. In firebug console it shows this:

ReferenceError: VieWOpmerkingenLoG is not defined

I'm guessing i need to add something to the translation file?
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
dspaan

Postby DomeDan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:10 am

The opposite, you need to remove "Comments|Opmerkingen|"
this is why I'm working on changing the script (the other thread you wrote in) so we dont need to translate single words like that
DomeDan

Postby dspaan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:55 pm

Thanks DomeDan. I changed it into this:

Notes|Notes|

And the callnotes are working again. I remember now what you wrote in the other thread about single words, but i didn't have any other problems though?
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
dspaan

Postby DomeDan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:19 pm

you might have more problems, I have been tweaking se_language.txt a while and removed several translations that would interfere with variables and functions.
the original script wont translate a line containing "function" and a few other things, so the function name wont be translated, but... the line where the function is called, that line will be translated :(
it would be better it the script translated both the declaration of the function and the function call because then it would work even if the name is changed, as long as its changed on every occurrence
(we are still in the development board ^^)
DomeDan

Postby dspaan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:08 pm

Indeed i have more problems, with variables! I just made this thread.

Is this related to the translation you think? I even have the problem when i use the English GUI. Help?

http://www.vicidial.org/VICIDIALforum/v ... =4&t=27781
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
dspaan

Postby DomeDan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:22 pm

the best solution for you would probably be to remove all one-word translations or replace them with:
>Comments|>Opmerkingen|
"Comments|"Opmerkingen|
depending on how the original line that you want to translate looks
DomeDan

Postby williamconley » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:59 pm

Personally, I think a whole new translation system should be built starting with the original source code. Even if we merely "begin" it ... and then allow it to populate as the project gets older, we could identify "Problem areas" for the new system and use it to patch the present system while completing the build out.

If we could get Matt to "buy-in" and allow the initial system to be enabled ... the rest could be handled over time.
williamconley

Postby mflorell » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:14 pm

We have a client offering ideas on this recently, suggesting using a function for replacing all "echo"s so that it would be easier to substitute a translation function at that single point. We're working on figuring out how much time it would take us to successfully complete and test this, but it would be a good first step in revamping how the agent translations work in Vicidial. Unfortunately, there are thousands of phrases in the admin interface and it would be a lot more work making that transition so it will probably be an agent interface change only at first.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby DomeDan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:33 pm

I finished my version of build_translation_www_files.pl 3 days ago
the difference from the original one is that this script can translate phrases and keep variables and other things in-between English words that should be translated,
it also prints out unused translations, posted it on the issue tracker: http://www.vicidial.org/VICIDIALmantis/view.php?id=663
I think this is the best way of translating the files, have not seen any better method so far. 8)
DomeDan

Postby williamconley » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:00 pm

mflorell wrote:We have a client offering ideas on this recently, suggesting using a function for replacing all "echo"s so that it would be easier to substitute a translation function at that single point. We're working on figuring out how much time it would take us to successfully complete and test this, but it would be a good first step in revamping how the agent translations work in Vicidial. Unfortunately, there are thousands of phrases in the admin interface and it would be a lot more work making that transition so it will probably be an agent interface change only at first.
the best translation system i've ever seen/used was one that took the "english" out of the "scripts" entirely. anything that was going to be seen by an end-user was loaded from a table. then the translation was all done in the DB. you change a value in the system settings (or perhaps in the user settings?) and *poof* translation done.

I began a transfer to this method for a client years ago back in the MSSQL days (before I worked here). That client then slowly converted all the pages he touched from that point forward. I think it would be an interesting experiment to see how well that worked out. Certainly for the agent screen (which loads once and then AJAX's for everything else ...).
williamconley

Postby dspaan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:34 am

DomeDan wrote:the best solution for you would probably be to remove all one-word translations or replace them with:
>Comments|>Opmerkingen|
"Comments|"Opmerkingen|
depending on how the original line that you want to translate looks

DomeDan,

I moved all single words to the bottom of the translation file so i have them grouped together and then replaced them with their original English value:

Attachments|Attachments|
maximize | maximize |
minimize | minimize |
Title| Title|
STATUS| STATUS|
RESET| RESET|
SUBMIT| SUBMIT|
Incoming|Incoming|
Calling|Calling|
Called|Called|
Campaign|Campaign|
Status|Status|
Inserted|Inserted|
seconds| seconds|
HELP|HELP|
Login | Login |
Login:|Login:|
User |User |
Password|Password|
VERSION|VERSION|
BUILD|BUILD|
Server|Server|
RECORD |RECORD|
>HANGUP|>HANGUP|
>XFER|>XFER|
PARK|PARK|
IN-NUMBER|IN-NUMBER|
NUMBER|NUMBER|
CALLERID|CALLERID|
CALL| CALL|
PICKUP|PICKUP|
CONFERENCE|CONFERENCE|
Refresh|Refresh|
ORDER|ORDER|
on | on |
>LOGOUT|>LOGOUT|
Channel| Channel|
Extensions|Extensions|
Conferences|Conferences|
Conference|Conference|
Recording|Recording|
Record|Record|
Welcome|Welcome|
VOICEMAIL|VOICEMAIL|
NEW| NEW|
OLD| OLD|
Pause | Pause |
Resume|Resume|
Faster|Faster|
Slower|Slower|
Initializing|Initializing|
Invalid|Invalid|
Username|Username|
Notes|Notes|
First|First|
MI: |MI: |
Last|Last|
Address|Address|
City|City|
State|State|
PostCode|PostCode|
Province|Province|
DialCode|DialCode|
Show|Show|
Email|Email|
Comments|Comments|
REFRESH|REFRESH|
Undefined|Undefined|
Notes: |Notes: |
Active: |Active: |
Manager |Manager |
CONSULTATIVE|CONSULTATIVE|
-READY|-READY|
-INCALL|-INCALL|
-PAUSED|-PAUSED|

But it did not work. I still can't call the custom field data inside the agent script tab when manual dialing user only callbacks.

Is there a way to revert back to before i ever ran the translation script for the first time?
Also i don't understand what this switch does:
[--without-en] = only translate non-english
Why would it translate English at all?
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
dspaan

Postby DomeDan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:51 am

the translation script does not modify agc/ it only copy it and creates agc_de and agc_en
so the custom field data-problem you're having does probably have nothing to do with the translation,
I have not used custom fields so I dont know if they can be called like you described in your other topic

the script does not really translate to english (I thought so too to begin with)
it just creates agc_en and sets a link to agc_de so the agent can easy switch between the two, thats why it creates agc_en

you can delete agc_en and agc_de and run the script again, thats the way to "revert back" i would say
DomeDan

Postby dspaan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:11 pm

I'd like to make known that i've finally taken the time to give my translation some good testing and i have uploaded the translation file and images for the Dutch language to the issue tracker: 694.

We've been working with this translation for a few months now and no issues apart from some portions that can not be translated.
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
dspaan

Postby mflorell » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:32 am

Thank you very much, we will take a look at that when we prepare for our next branch.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby dspaan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:35 am

Hi Matt,

I just installed a new server with this version:

VERSION: 2.8-417a
BUILD: 131019-0849
Revision: 2039

I have compared the translation file of this vicidial version with the one i had (which was working) and updated it the new translation lines and made sure to remove some lines which were not in the translation file of the new version and then ran the perl script.

Code: Select all
vicibox:/usr/src/astguiclient/trunk # perl /usr/share/astguiclient/build_translation_www_files.pl --language=nl -debug --client-only --without-en

But for some reason the resulting generated vicidial.php file is largely empty (1365 lines of code) and i can't load it in my browser. Any idea what i'm doing wrong?

This is the error i see in apache error log:

[Mon Nov 18 10:27:06 2013] [error] [client 82.95.238.35] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /srv/www/htdocs/agc_nl/vicidial.php on line 416, referer: http://***serverip***/vicidial/welcome_languages.php
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
dspaan

Postby mflorell » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:49 am

We've made a lot of changes to the agent interface in the last 6 months, and I haven't tested the translation process at all since then. When we get ready to do another branch release I'll look into this.
mflorell
Site Admin

Next

Return to Development