MUST for new beginners : Read It

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

MUST for new beginners : Read It

Postby kolucoms6 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:03 pm

If you are want to learn Asterisk, read it..

http://www.inphonex.com/support/trixbox ... ration.php
--------------------------------------------
USA/UK "VOIP CLI" Calling Minutes : 1 cents per minutes.
kolucoms6

Postby mflorell » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:18 pm

I must note that Trixbox is not required or recommended for use with VICIDIAL.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby williamconley » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:23 pm

That being said, it does have some interesting information. And no copyright notice that I can find. Hm.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby Baylink » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:30 pm

Doesn't matter anymore; since the US adopted the Berne convention, creative works are copyrighted from inception.
Baylink

Postby williamconley » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:45 pm

Creative works are copyrighted from inception, but a PUBLISHED work that is not specified as copyrighted that is a compilation of other works and deals with Open Source Software, especially when it is a Technical Resource ...

I don't think that's even debatable any more. I love Open Source. It makes the rules so much easier. If you want to be technical, you could always note where the information came from to comply with the GPL.

But the information in this area, although well thought out, is hardly "owned" by the site in question. It's not even a Digium site. Asterisk is published via GPL. So works based on it CAN be copied freely or THAT site would not be in compliance with the GPL.

No copyright notice in a situation like this ... means no copyright.
williamconley

Postby Baylink » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:00 am

Nope. Every piece of writing is copyright by it's creator, even that on forums.

Hell, personal letters have been held to be copyrighted, both email and on paper.

What constitutes *fair use*, now, that's a different issue, entirely.

But I guarantee you, if you pulled all the good long posts out of here and published a book without permissions, *someone* would sue you, and they'd very likely win.
Baylink

Postby williamconley » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:12 am

Only if you published it "as your own". If you credited the location and author for those works that were actually written by them, you'd be in the clear failing a copyright all rights reserved notice at the location from whence you borrowed it.

But most importantly any items that were not actually written by the site from which you extract (excerpts captured and brought to that site from other places that are GNU), you'd be completely in the clear. And, in case you didn't notice, there IS a (c) at the bottom of THIS page.

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I've been in the publishing industry since 1981, I've written and read policy, and attended hearings regarding who stole what and from whom (resulting in many policy changes, of course, as directed by the presiding Judge). Something as simple as "not bothering" to put a "TM" on your trademark can be a serious bummer later when you try to enforce it.

Publishing your work (any work written by you) in a public forum is not how you maintain a copyright, regardless of whether you had it when you wrote the material (UNLESS of course, you notify said general public that although you are publishing it publicly, you assert your rights).

Publishing compiled work of others, rephrased a bit, without a copyright notice, in a publicly accessible area ... well, I guess you know my opinion on that.
williamconley

Postby Op3r » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:04 am

ethically you are just stealing from somebody.

If you dont have any ethics you wont quote your source.

But if you do you will. Except if you really think they are just stealing from somebody :)
Get paid for US outbound Toll Free calls. PM me.
Op3r

Postby Baylink » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:55 am

> If you credited the location and author for those works that were actually written by them, you'd be in the clear failing a copyright all rights reserved notice at the location from whence you borrowed it.

Yup, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Merely granting credit does not absolve you of being an infringer. And merely giving 'full' notice does not get you any *extra* bennies -- except the amount you can sue for.

And failure to give notice *does* affect trademark enforcement rights, but has nothing to do with copyright -- anymore. That was the case before we adopted Berne, but isn't anymore.
Baylink

Return to General Discussion