vicidial/welcome.php

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

vicidial/welcome.php

Postby danielm » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:50 pm

Hello, i am new to vicidial,
I am trying to connect to the vicidial/welcome.php page from a computer that is not in the same network of the vicidial server and i can't. I am able to connect locally without any problems. Is there any port that i need to forward besides the port 80.?? Is there any possibility that my ISP is blocking that port and i need to use port 8080???. If this is the case can anyone tell me how to do it?

Thanks in advance :D
danielm

Postby williamconley » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:19 am

can you surf to any other pages on that server or is this the only page you have attempted?

when you surf locally, i assume you use the IP address of the box on the local subnet. but when you attempt to do so on the web and go through the router (which you indicated you use by the "forwarding" remark), do you use the ip address of the router to forward or a Domain Name which is forwarded?

If you are using a Domain Name, you must verify that the domain name is truly forwarding to the appropriate router. if you use the IP address, you must also verify that you are using the right one.

Step one: verify that you are actually hitting the outside of the router on its ip address. "ping" it. you may have to turn on ping response in the router to be sure.

After that there are many methods to verify that the server itself is getting data through the router. you can forward port 22 (ssh) temporarily and see if you can get an SSH signaly through (using PuTTY locally and through the web). And then use port 80 again if that fails.

Also, be sure to use a proxy server (megaproxy.com is a good tester) to be sure your router isn't funky (i had a Belkin router that refused to allow internal routing through external IPs from within the same subnet, it wouldn't let me port forward from inside, through the external IP, back to inside again). I threw that router out.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby danielm » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:11 am

hi and thanks for your quick response. I pretty sure that the server is hitting with the outside because i am registered to my SIP. termination provider and i am able to make and receive calls. Also i have this server registered to another asterisk server in another location. In the server B when i do a Iax2 show registry i actually see the Ip Address of the one that have Vicidial On It. But from that network i am not able to see de vicidial/admin page. that is why i thought that maybe my internet sip provider is blocking port 80. In that case i my have to change to port 8080 but i don't know where to make this change.
danielm

Postby williamconley » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:36 am

you have several options, you can have your router change any port (8080, 2513, whatever) on the outside ip to port 80 on the inside and forward it to the vici server which would not require any changes to the vicidial server. or you can pass through another port straight to vicidial which would require a modification to your apache virtual server settings either universally or you could make a separate virtual server just for this purpose.

but be careful, as the situations you described may not necessarily mean that you have attempted to surf to the correct IP on the outside and that the router is pointing port 80 to your vicidial server.
able to register sip - your system will create a dynamic port for return traffic on the way out, automating the return trip even though you don't know the outbound ip and don't care.
able to register iax2 - could easily be the same issue as sip, although the port isn't a different port, some routers will create a dynamic return port.

i did not get a response to whether this is the only page you have tried to surf to, whether you can Ping the router and then whether you can SSH through your router. if your issue is, indeed, blocked port 80 (unusual, but has happened), then port 22 may be open. and you can always change your SSH to ANY port not in use. This is also a very good idea anyway because port 22 is highly prone to attack (so keep it closed or on another port)

Also you could temporarily put your vicidial server the in "DMZ" of your router to see if that makes a difference.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby danielm » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:53 pm

Hi, i had used the DMZ and everything is working good now. I think that i have a problem when i try to port forwarding in my router.
Thanks a lot for your help.
danielm

Return to General Discussion