CentOS issues encountered please post

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

CentOS issues encountered please post

Postby gardo » Sun May 25, 2008 3:51 pm

Matt and all VICIDIAL users,

Can you post the issues you have encountered with CentOS? We're constantly improving the VicidialNOW distro. Aside from the preemption issue (now fixed - including disk io scheduler) what else have you encountered?
http://goautodial.com
Empowering the next generation contact centers
gardo

Postby mflorell » Sun May 25, 2008 4:09 pm

I suppose that means that I need to download your latest version to test then doesn't it?

This is really "issues with VICIDIALnow" at this point not just CentOS, because you have already crossed off most of the big problems(kernel/required-apps), like the kind you run into trying to install anything on a base install CentOS desktop setup that a new client has told you should be "ready to go" :)

It's kind of tough to single out more problems, because whenever I get on a CentOS system for a client I go and download a recent kernel.org source kernel and recompile the kernel going through the settings looking for those key things like the process preemption and kernel timer, etc...

We do this because we have noticed that there are some reliability issues on high-load systems with the kernel patches that CentOS(and the rest of the RedHat) family put in just to maintain their precious kernel version number :)
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby gardo » Sun May 25, 2008 5:47 pm

Looks like most of the problems encountered were related to the CentOS' kernel having the preemption model set to desktop (including disk io scheduler). Kinda contradictory since CentOS/RedHat are server distros. :D

I've never encountered this problem until recently when a client overloaded a system. There were delays getting the calls to the agents. Most of the time, our hardware is more than enough for the recommended number of agents.

The latest version of VicidialNOW doesn't have the "modified" kernel yet. Still doing some tests and hopefully it will be available with the final 1.1 release. :D

Aside from the kernel issues, are there any others that you have found?
Last edited by gardo on Sun May 25, 2008 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://goautodial.com
Empowering the next generation contact centers
gardo

Postby pylinuxian » Sun May 25, 2008 6:34 pm

VicidialNow will auto start install (after a timeout) so if you forget cd inside your laptop ... you end up with a lap-phone :D, and you need to call Matt to help you configure InfraRed & bluetooth truncks.
pylinuxian

Return to General Discussion