Can you access vicidial through website?

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Can you access vicidial through website?

Postby Jpippy » Tue May 06, 2008 4:54 pm

My main question was can this be used over the net? Where my employees can go to our website we will setup for it and login and make the calls? Do they require any software on their computer? I would be using an asterisk server for the calls , with SIP. These people will be from canada or the united states. So we will not be in the same building.
Jpippy

Postby ramindia » Tue May 06, 2008 11:16 pm

Hi

yes that is possible

agents can be any part of the world

ram
Kindly post your feedback, if this solution works.
so its very usefull for others who join later as a NEWBIE.
ramindia

Postby Jpippy » Wed May 07, 2008 9:10 am

Can they make the calls and receive the calls directly through their browser with a headset? Do the agents need to download any thing onto their computers?
Jpippy

Postby mflorell » Wed May 07, 2008 9:19 am

Agents would need a softphone on their computer like Zoiper or Xlite, those are available for free as well.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby Jpippy » Wed May 07, 2008 6:59 pm

If I recall you correctly you said are including one into the next version of vicidial? Is this true? I would love to help but I don't know much php only the basics. IS there anywhere that you posted expected release for new version of vicidial.

Sorry for all the questions Matt, this is a great project.

If I am wrong about the softphone being included in vicidial, is there one I may be able to integrate into the website, then have the clients make calls and recieve them completely through the web browser? I have not installed vicidial yet but plan on doing so within the next couple days. I assumed you could make the calls through the browser because in the screenshots there is a textbox that says manual dial then you enter the number and click dial from what I interpret. Now I realize this probably goes through the softphone though.

If you could answer these questions it will be greatly appreciated.
Jpippy

Postby mflorell » Thu May 08, 2008 4:17 am

building an optional phone into the web browser is an item on the TODO list, but it has not been sponsored or funded in any way so there is no guarantee that it will make it into the next release.

All of our clients have preferred to choose the phone that they use, even for remote agents. There do seem to be compatibility and quality issues with using most web-based VOIP phones as compared to dedicated softphone applications or hardphones.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby Jpippy » Thu May 08, 2008 9:55 am

Thanks for the reply Matt. It would be a great function to have in it. Is there any opensource websoftphone out there that could be used. I have hear of jiax, but from the name I would assume it only uses IAX channels. Do you know of any of these browser SIP soft phones that I could test out?
Jpippy

Postby mflorell » Thu May 08, 2008 12:54 pm

At this point I'm not really sure which phone we would use. I am leaning towards an IAX phone because they are less resource intensive and the agent will only be connecting to Asterisk which is much easier to do with IAX than SIP, especially through firewalls.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby Op3r » Thu May 08, 2008 1:04 pm

the caveat though if you are going to use hosted solution is the codecs used.

I havent seen an iax browser based phone with g729 on it :(
Get paid for US outbound Toll Free calls. PM me.
Op3r

Postby Jpippy » Thu May 08, 2008 1:32 pm

Where can I find the caveat? Sounds interesting. Any more SIP based web softphones?
Jpippy

Postby Jpippy » Thu May 08, 2008 5:17 pm

So Vicidial works by making the calls through the softphone like xlite, also for recieving the calls through it? Has anyone successfully integrated a softphone for the webclient so users can recieve and make calls without desktop software? such as maybe a flash or java client on another page that is added that can handle them. I am doing some research and found Tringme. It offers a voip api for developing a flash based client. Although I dont think you can recieve the calls with it. I am very interested on adding one so calls can be made through the browser with vicidial.
Jpippy

Postby pylinuxian » Thu May 08, 2008 8:32 pm

I believe if you run a call center then you are in a business where voice quality matters, & if you had to choose between softphones you would choose the one with highest quality of voice .... this said you would go for a separate application simply because to this time the web browser cannot give equal performance of a program installed on the system ... maybe you could hire someone develop a separate webbrowser with an integrated phone system ... but then again you will need 20 years of developement to make it compatible with vicidial stuff such as ajax etc ...
pylinuxian

Postby mflorell » Fri May 09, 2008 3:10 am

Actually the GSM codec is pretty good quality and very low bandwidth. It also is more tolerant of low quality or congested internet connections than G729.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby Jpippy » Fri May 09, 2008 7:19 pm

Very good news to hear. So it can be done with great quality from my understanding. If there is anything I can do to help let me know.
Jpippy

Postby Jpippy » Fri May 09, 2008 7:21 pm

Very good news to hear. So it can be done with great quality from my understanding. :)

Im sure others will be looking foward to this aswell.
Jpippy

Return to General Discussion