General question/guidence on distributed Vicidial

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

General question/guidence on distributed Vicidial

Postby middletn » Sat May 03, 2008 3:12 pm

Sorry if these are basic questions, but I'd like some direction.

We are a small VOIP provider, but have invested in a couple of servers located in data centres with huge bandwidth available.

These servers connect to the PSTN network and we have a significant number of channels available to us.

Assume the following:
We are experts in Asterisk, networking and Linux
We are beginners with Vicidial

Question:

We have a small contact centre (10 seats) that wants to trial Vicidial

Is there a way we can use the power and bandwidth on our hosted servers to service the client who have a 10 call capability accross 2 broadband line, or should we simply install Vicidial locally?

All calls in this instance are outbound.

Are there any docs on splitting ViciDial functionality?

Not looking for a how to here, just some general pointers

Regards
middletn

Postby mflorell » Sat May 03, 2008 6:50 pm

VICIDIAL is very flexible in this area. We have done setups where the dialers were located at a data center while the client has a basic Asterisk box on-location with the client to service the agent connections only back to the data center dialers.

As for splitting up VICIDIAL functionality, yes you can do that, but I think all you will need are phones at the client location that register to the data center dialers, or a single Asterisk box acting as a gateway on-site with the client connecting over IAX to the data center dialers.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby middletn » Sun May 04, 2008 4:03 am

Then my question is, which method is the more efficient given limited bandwidth at the client site?

That said, given that the number of calls a site can handle is a function of the bandwidth at that site, and that a ringing call only generates the signaling traffic, it seems logical that for small setups, a Vicidial box be on site to handle it all, or am I missing something?

Regards
middletn

Postby mflorell » Sun May 04, 2008 8:17 am

If you have very limited bandwidth it is usually better to have the dialer at a data center, especially if there is a chance that you could max out your bandwidth at any time causing a drop in audio quality for all calls if you were to have the entire system on-site.
mflorell
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion