VICIDIAL SETUP FOR A NEW CALL CENTER

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

VICIDIAL SETUP FOR A NEW CALL CENTER

Postby logmein » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:08 am

Dear all,

Hugs from India.

I am in the process of replacing my Mitel based IPPBX (25 seater) to something Vicidial-ish. I am consulting a few firms here in-around India, and they have quoted me for

(i) one time setup/ configuration/ installation cost &
(ii) a per year AMC or per ticket based on-going support cost.

It seems alright, but a few of them have mentioned limitations of 30 users (I am using just a single PRI line for now so its not an immediate concern) but moving on I might want to scale and pay only for the AMC. Is that fair? Is limiting users legal?

Secondly, is there any way the support provider will lock me out of my own system? For e.g. ROOT passwords for the PBX/ Apache/ MySql server etc? That I should ask for when they are setting it up. In other words, if someone sets it up and I buy someone else's support service will that work in the practical world? How easy is it for someone to unfold someone else's mess? Or is this all standard configuration?

I am not too knowledgeable about this hence need your help guys.
logmein

Re: VICIDIAL SETUP FOR A NEW CALL CENTER

Postby williamconley » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:32 pm

This forum board is reserved for making a request that you intend to pay for. This is not an offer to pay someone, but a request to verify your offers (for which you intend to pay someone else) are valid.

I'll move your post to the General Conversation board.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby williamconley » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:39 pm

Now that we're in general discussion:

Download Vicibox.com's iso image. Install it on an old workstation. Use the PDF from the Vicibox.com site for installation. When that's installed, use the manager's manual from the Vicidial.org site to configure the system.

When you say you have a PRI, you're not clear on whether you are using it as a telephony connection to a telco or an internet connection (the predecessor to Broadband). If you have a 23-line PRI or a 30-line PRI (technology varies and I forget what it would be in India), your agent limit is based on the number of lines. Not on what the installer says.

However, if you are using the PRI for internet, then the bandwidth available could be a limiting factor.

In any case, if you're willing to pay them, they can limit you in any way they like as long as they disclose the origin of the software (Vicidial). It's Open Source, which means they must give you the source code. That does not inhibit their ability to contract with you for services in any model they choose. Note that they are offering support for a specific number of users. I hope you understand that the support load for a call center with 30 agents is somewhat different than it would be for a call center with 320 agents. LOL

That being said: Install it yourself. If it's easy, you don't need them. If it's not ... perhaps you do. 8-)
williamconley

Postby logmein » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Thanks for the quick response William.

I note you are one of the most active peeps out here, appreciate your specifics.

The PRI I am using is that of my TSP (telephony service provider) and it carries 30 voice channels. So I am alright to being limited by the single PRI link for now, but my Sangoma has 4 ports and I hope when I might want to use a second PRI later on they dont hold me to a king's ransom. That's all my concern really was and is. Can I circumvent this somehow? (if it involves passwords etc that they will hold)

Yes, administratively I understand 30 and 300 are galaxies apart. More horsepower to the latter.
logmein

Postby williamconley » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:07 pm

If you do not need the server to have an internet connection, then the only challenge is whether they have placed code on the server to kill it if they lose access. That would be a dirty trick, but allowed if they have a contract with you that discloses it (morally) and legally I couldn't tell you without being a lawyer in your jurisdiction.

Why do you not use VOIP instead of PRI? Is it not available?

You CAN use both (so you can compare them ...) if you're just unsure about call quality or need to finish your contract with the PRI provider.
williamconley

Postby logmein » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:17 pm

PRI all the way. Setup's for a domestic call center. Telco rates cannot be beaten by VOIP for local and STD (country wide) calls here in India. Not sure how it is out there in the US of A.

But yes I got your point about the licensing. I guess I just will have to read the terms carefully and have solid email communication as backup evidence.
logmein

Postby williamconley » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:28 am

Do note that while you believe pricing cannot be beat, usually you are wrong. And also remember that a limit of 30 channels per connection is teeny. Many VOIP connections allow more than that PER SECOND with a max channels of several hundred.

Additionally, as a rule, no contract. No monthly minimum.

Usually the contract for PRI turns what seems like a great deal into a losing proposition. You pay for minutes you never use. Every month.
williamconley

Postby greenmon » Tue May 05, 2015 4:16 pm

Hey Hugs,

PRI will always limit you to 30 channels, That means you can not make more than 30 calls simultaneously. PRI has own advantages and disadvantages. With PRI you pay for minutes that you never used, and it is costly. The good part is, the connection is established faster and with no audio issues that you might have with VoIP.

Friend, TRAI has killed us. They do not allow VoIP for business calls within India. If you might have noticed, even skype is not offering subscription based to indian users for calls to India now after TRAI passed this new regulation.

Vicidial is the most stylish autodialer in the open market. Use it with more PRI channels. Do mot use VoIP within India or you could go to jail, and Conley will laugh at you...
greenmon

Postby bimi » Sun May 24, 2015 6:47 pm

williamconley, maybe it's not the place to post for something like this but i just want to thank you very very much for your support. I have seen a lot posts where you have helped people on their problems, i also had some problems to make my VICIdial work, but thanks to you everything is perfect now. I took to myself this as an obligation for thanking you because i think when someone makes you a solution or make you happy you shoud be thankfull. I will also try to contribute on this forum with what i can.

Kind regards.
bimi

Postby williamconley » Sun May 24, 2015 7:33 pm

The BEST thanks you can give me is to buy the Vicidial Manager's Manual and stay here and post help for others.

While you may not think you know a lot, look back a couple weeks and you'll probably find you know more than you did then. And the guys starting today ... DON'T. LOL (and they can use all the help they can get!) Even little stuff. Often just asking for pertinent details helps the new user determine what's "pertinent" and solve their own problems. Those details alway seem to make the difference. :)

And I suggest buying the manual because you'll easily save more than you paid for it just by reading the full version (seriously!) and getting all the walk-throughs. Not to mention you did not pay for this software, which honestly would cost over $50k in today's marketplace if not for the fact that The Vicidial Group maintains it for FREE. So I'd say it's a worthy investment. You get to give back to the Project and line your own pockets at the same time. (and it encourages The Vicidial Group to continue publishing that manual ... which has helped more people than I have!)

8-)
williamconley

Return to General Discussion