IIRC or mIRC Support

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

IIRC or mIRC Support

Postby kuto » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:13 am

Hi all,

Would like to invite everyone to join me in giving live support to fellow Vicidial users.

Were located in freenode.net channel name: #vicidial

just type to any of your iirc client.

Joining iirc server in freenode.net
/server irc.freenode.net

Joining vicidial channels
/join #vicidial

Simple isn't it! :lol:
kuto

Postby martyn » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi.

Come in.

#vicidial on irc.freenode.net :D

Regards.
martyn

Postby williamconley » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:20 pm

I have a silly question: When you're done giving support ... is the text of the conversation available and searchable somewhere?

If not, you should really keep it here. I cannot count the number of times I've NOT had to post because the question was already asked and answered. This site is irreplaceable.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby Op3r » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:33 am

we can run an eggdrop for it.

But I dont have a spare server to use :( and that being said all of my servers are being used for production so there's no way I can expose one.
Get paid for US outbound Toll Free calls. PM me.
Op3r

Postby williamconley » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:42 pm

Then don't dedicate one. Use the EFLO VicidialNOW forum. Matt pays for it and it's already exposed. (Thanks Matt)

and EVERYONE can see your results, search for those answers ... and get them, so all your support efforts are multiplied by thousands of views.
williamconley

Postby codehaxor » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:53 am

doesnt really need an eggdrop, the channel can be just registered through freenode.
Team Dax Cordova IT Consulting
Vicidial Remote & Onsite Installation / Configuration / Custom Development / Consultancy Services
http://www.linkedin.com/in/codehaxor
FREE VICIDIAL INSTALLATION IN THE PHILIPPINES
codehaxor

Postby mmixx » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:35 pm

i think what Op3r mean by putting an eggdrop there is to have an FAQ bot to answer questions.

that would be great and it would be helpful to us.
mmixx

Postby Baylink » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:26 pm

He may have meant that, but it's not an answer to Mr Conley's complaint.

Having used both fora and IRC for support help on open source projects in the past, I'm somewhat torn.

I understand your argument, Bill, and I even agree with it, but conversely, the information density of a forum channel is an order of magnitude lower than that of an IRC channel, and sometimes, speed of interaction matters.

I don't *think* we have a 'critical mass' problem in this environment, so I suspect that both channels are useful.

Having a "search the forums first" link in the channel topic probably couldn't hurt though...
Baylink

Postby williamconley » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:01 pm

Oh, I'm with ya ... don't get me wrong. But the concept of getting actual support is what I'm looking at. If there were an IRC where actual support were available ... that would be great, but the problem is that the fracture would occur. There would be information here and there.

Major concerns that could be resolved may be ... or they may not be.

Then the user may be left to completely restate everything said before, only now on the forum instead. That's easily resolved (by the user). But if they DID get a resolution ... noone would remember it tomorrow.

Also, if users got used to using it ... standard questions that could easily be researched and resolved would be resolved again and again, and if a new way were found to resolve some issues, they would also be forgotten immediately.

If someone were to make a serious offer to Matt (enough to get HIM and HIS CREW interested in an IRC), it would be cool. But as long as the creator of Vicidial and his expert team (this does not qualify as S@cking up, by the way, because this is not an exaggeration) are only on the forum, and not on the IRC, it would unquestionably result in a loss of information, and possibly misinformation.

If it were a Paid IRC and Matt made a rep available on it and administered it so any New Information were to be made available on the Forum afterwards, that would be viable.

Vicidial ... is already pretty much in one spot. Not a bad place to be.

But ... that's just my opinion. :twisted:
williamconley

Return to General Discussion